AT&T Security Researchers Identify a Correlation between Strong Cybersecurity and Business Success
- by Brittany Day
In this paradigm shift for business driven by the rapid transition to a remote workforce, there appears to be a real need for a shift in securing the digital premise in order to maintain, or even enhance, business continuity and success. AT&T Cybersecurity researchers have cited a “relationship between business success and a commitment to strong security”, reporting that 91% of companies that lag in cybersecurity miss revenue goals, while 57% of companies that lead in this increasingly critical area exceed revenue goals by over seven percent.
With the heightened reliance on cloud email to fulfill remote workers’ communication needs, cyber risk - led by email risk - has never been greater. The majority of organizations lack layered supplementary email security defenses, leaving their users and key assets vulnerable to attack. The FBI reports that even with existing security defenses in place, 30% of phishing attempts are still opened by target users. As Cybersecurity Awareness Month comes to a close, we examine the most common and costly email security shortcomings - and how these weaknesses are short changing businesses’ success.
The Modern Email Threats Landscape is Characterized by Unprecedented Risk
Email risk has skyrocketed in this new remote work environment, as organizations scramble to modernize their infrastructure and move operations to the cloud. Cyber thieves are exploiting increased reliance on cloud email and misconfigurations due to rapid installs of Office 365 and G Suite to launch sophisticated new phishing campaigns designed to steal sensitive credentials and infect corporate systems with malware.
Both the prevalence and effectiveness of phishing scams has drastically increased over the past eight months. There has been a 600% rise in phishing attacks due to COVID-19, and users are now three times more likely to click on a malicious link embedded in a phishing email and disclose their account credentials than they were pre-COVID.
The Majority of Businesses are Unable to Meet Today’s Email Security Challenges
The unfortunate reality is that as cyber criminals have advanced their methods, tactics and techniques for gaining access to sensitive information - and ultimately funds - the majority of businesses are struggling to defend their users and their data. Ponemon Institute security researchers report that there has been a drastic reduction in security posture since the pandemic began, with the number of organizations that feel they are effectively positioned against cyber attacks plummeting from 71% earlier this year to only 44%.
A lack of cybersecurity resources and expertise has proven to be one of the main challenges businesses face - and has been significantly worsened by this global crisis. Many businesses have admitted that they simply don’t know how to safeguard remote workers against modern email threats. Ponemon Institute research reveals that only 45% of organizations feel that they have an adequate budget to cover the increased risks created by the shift to a remote workforce, and only 39% report having adequate cybersecurity expertise available on staff. With these disheartening numbers, it is no surprise that 60% of organizations have already experienced at least one cyber attack during this pandemic.
Incompetant Email Security is Undermining Businesses' Success
Email security should be a universal priority - after all, over 90% of cyberattacks are launched via email and no business can afford the aftermath of a cyber attack or a breach. However, implementing an effective email security strategy offers benefits that extend far beyond simply mitigating disaster. At&T Cybersecurity researchers report that 91% of companies that lag in cybersecurity miss revenue goals, while 57% of companies that lead in this increasingly critical area exceed revenue goals by over seven percent - indicating that strong security and business success are inextricably tied. AT&T Cybersecurity states, “Leading organizations can weave strong cybersecurity into the business, IT, and organizational culture. This helps them be more aggressive with IT-driven business initiatives, knowing they can count on a strong security foundation.” The industry leader elaborates, “Despite their successes, leading organizations understand that security is a journey and not a destination. Therefore, they constantly assess progress, pinpoint areas of need, and strive for continuous improvement.” While implementing effective email security is an investment, it is an investment that continues to pay off, and organizations that invest heavily in security experience a much stronger return on investment (ROI) than organizations that cut corners.
The Solution: Set Your Organization Up for Success with Innovative, Managed Email Defenses
Securing business email against today’s advanced threats is no small task, and requires more than a piece of antivirus software, a spam filter, or the built-in ‘protection’ provided within Office 365 and G Suite. The default email security defenses offered in these platforms are primitive, single-layered and ineffective in detecting and blocking today’s sophisticated, complex threats like spear phishing and fileless malware. Despite built-in email protection, Osterman Research reports that 40% of Office 365 customers have experienced credential theft nevertheless.
Defense-in-depth is imperative to fortifying cloud email. Combating modern email threats is a job that far exceeds the capabilities of any single security feature. Rather, this difficult yet exceedingly important task requires multiple innovative features and technologies such as malicious URL protection and email authentication protocols designed to work harmoniously in real-time with both each other and built-in cloud email defenses. To fortify the inbox and safeguard remote workers, Gartner security experts recommend “a strategic approach to security that layers inbound, outbound and internal detection and remediation”. The FBI also emphasizes the importance of layered email security defenses, stating: “Businesses should take immediate action to protect their users and their data in Office 365 by implementing critical supplementary layers of protection.”
Businesses - especially those that lack IT resources and security expertise - can benefit immensely from implementing fully-managed email security services. Failure to deploy a solution accompanied by ongoing expert management, system monitoring and support frequently leaves organizations vulnerable to attack - even with supplementary email defenses in place. Guardian Digital CEO Dave Wreski explains, “An effective email security solution cannot simply be selected and purchased, leaving the responsibility of configuration and management in the hands of the administrator. Rather, securing business email is a continuous process that requires around-the-clock monitoring and maintenance by a team of experts, dedicated to understanding the evolving risks businesses face and applying the specific real-time guidance necessary to each individual business. Wreski elaborates, “Unfortunately, many email security solutions put the burden of setup, maintenance and system monitoring on the administrator.”
AT&T Cybersecurity research has confirmed that a weak email security strategy can greatly interfere with your business's success, and that implementing proactive, layered email security defenses can greatly enhance it. Ready to simplify administration, safeguard your remote workforce and set your business up for a secure, successful future? This is possible - and affordable - with Guardian Digital EnGarde Cloud Email Security - a threat-ready, fully-supported cloud email security solution. Get A Quote>
- Thinking Strategically about Email Security in 2021 and Beyond
- There’s a Lot to be Gained with Effective Email Security
- Behind the Shield: EnGarde Cloud Email Security Explained
- Open Source: A Powerful, Yet Underutilized Weapon against Phishing & Zero-Day Attacks
- Buyer's Guide: What to Prioritize in an Email Security Solution
- Effectively Securing Business Email Accounts: Are Employees the Weakest Link?
- Encryption: An Essential Yet Highly Controversial Component of Digital Security
- Business Email Security Redefined: Key Benefits of Securing Your Business Email with Guardian Digital
- 8 Business Email Security Best Practices
- Demystifying Email Encryption: Stop Sender Fraud
- Demystifying Phishing Attacks: How to Protect Yourself Now
- Demystifying Tax Fraud: How to Avoid Falling Victim to Deceptive, Costly Scams This Tax Season
- Coronavirus Phishing Scams are On the Rise - Is Your Business Email at Risk of Infection?
- Dave Wreski: Founder of Guardian Digital – Open Source Cloud Email Security
- New Ransomware Warnings: Is Your Business Safe from This Silent Threat?
- FBI: Existing Cloud Email Protection Inadequate Against Phishing, Ransomware
- Email Risk is Universal: Securing Business Email in Every Industry Sector
- How To Safely Navigate Office 365 While Working Remotely
- Tips and Advice for Staying Safe Online During COVID-19
- Why Your Business Needs Better Email Security
- Defending Against COVID Email Spoofing Attacks with DMARC
- You’ve Got Mail: How To Tell If It’s Fraud
- Open-Source Security Is Opening Eyes
- Think Like A Criminal: How To Write A Phishing Email
- The Four Biggest Email Threats Your Business Faces Today
- Everything On DocuSign Phishing Attacks in 3 Minutes
- Understanding Payload-Less Email Attacks in Under 3 Minutes
- Demystifying Fileless Malware in Less than 3 Minutes
- How to Protect Sensitive Data & Maintain Client Trust in Financial Services Industry
- Exchange Servers Are Vulnerable - Learn How To Secure Your Email Server Now
- Apache SpamAssassin Leads A Growing List of Open-Source Projects Taking Steps to Correct Instances of Racism and White Privilege
- Cyber Risk Is Greater than Ever in the Legal Industry
- Understanding Malicious URL Protection - And Why You Need It to Secure Your Email
- Email Security for SMBs Beyond COVID-19
- Email Risk Is BIG for SMBs - How To Protect Your Business Now
- Email Threats By The Numbers: How Big Is My Risk?
- The Modern Email Threat Landscape: Where Traditional Defenses Fall Short
- Why Email Security Is More Important Than Ever in This 'New Reality'
- The Threat of CEO Fraud Extends Beyond the C-Suite
- Top Email Security Trends Putting Your Business at Risk of Attack
- Think Like A Criminal: What You Need to Know About Social Engineering Attacks in 2020
- Managed Services: A Key Element of Effective Email Security that Even Modern Solutions Lack
- How to maintain security when employees work remotely: Advice from Leading Security Experts
- FBI: The 2020 Presidential Election Is Under Attack by Email Scammers
- AT&T Security Researchers Identify a Correlation between Strong Cybersecurity and Business Success
- The Aftermath of a Cyberattack Pt. 1: Phishing Recovery Basics
- It Pays to be Prepared! Ransomware Preparedness & Recovery Basics
- Breaking Down Fileless Malware: Anatomy of an Attack
- Office 365 Email Is Vulnerable to Attack Without These Critical Supplementary Defenses in Place
- Keep the Holidays Merry & Bright - Beware of These Sneaky Seasonal Phishing Scams
- Migrating Business Email: The Hidden Complexities You Need To Know
- How Do SPF, DMARC & DKIM Secure Email Against Sender Fraud?
- Top Email Security Risks Heading into 2021 - How To Set Your Business Up for Safety & Success
- Your Current Approach to Email Security May Not Be Enough
- Ways to Prevent Email Account being compromised in a Breach
- Celebrating 20 Years of Revolutionizing Digital Security
- IBM Closes its $34 Billion Acquisition of Red Hat
- Interview with Security Expert and Author Ira Winkler
- What is Phishing Email? How to prevent Phishing email scams?
- Ways Our Business Email Exceed Your Expectations
- Spear Phishing Protection - Definition & How To Recognize Spear Phishing Email
- What is Whaling (Whaling Phishing)? & How to Prevent Whaling attacks?
- Ransomware Attack Explained - Best Practices For Ransomware Protection
- Business Email Compromise (BEC) - Definition & Prevention From BEC Attacks
- Wire Transfer Scams Involving Real Estate Transactions: How to Prevent Fraud with Effective Email Security
- Guardian Digital and Mautic: A Dynamic Open-Source Duo
- Email Malware - How to Recognize & Prevent Malware Email Attack
- An Open-Source Success Story: Apache SpamAssassin Celebrates 18 Years of Effectively Combating Spam Email
- What is Spam Email - Types & How to Prevent Spam Emails?
- 2020: A New Decade of Digital Threats - Is Your Business Email Secure?
- Linux: An OS Capable of Effectively Meeting the US Government’s Security Needs Heading into 2020
- Complete Guide on Email Security & Threats Faced by Organizations
- Email Virus - Complete Guide to Email Viruses Plus Best Practices
- What Are Zero-Day Attacks & How Can I Prevent Them?
- Guardian Digital Keeps its Customers Protected from Intel Design Flaw
- Security Spotlight: Open Source Email Security Solutions
- Top Six Advantages of Open Source Development/Products
- Python and Bash - Contenders for the most used scripting language
- Guardian Digital Outlines Top 4 Benefits of Choosing Cloud
- Unrivaled Protection Against Today’s Most Dangerous Threats
- Guard Your Email Accounts Against Today’s Most Dangerous Threats
- Security Highlights from Defcon 26
- Linux / Open Source FAQs: Common Myths / Misconceptions
- Email Security FAQs Answered by Guardian Digital
- Guardian Digital Mail Systems: Designed to be Secure Without Fail