Buyer's Guide to Office 365 & Workspace Email Security
- by Brittany Day
The proliferation of Microsoft Office 365 and Google Workspace use for business has highlighted the inadequacies in the built-in email security defenses provided in these platforms, which often leave users and critical data vulnerable to attack by providing a false sense of security. These primitive, single-layered defenses are unable to anticipate and block sophisticated emerging attacks, and there are no preventative measures in place to combat zero-day exploits. Despite existing protection, 40% of users have experienced credential theft in Office 365.
Fortifying Office 365 and Workspace email requires a layered supplementary email security solution designed to close the dangerous gaps in default cloud email protection. To help you select the best cloud email security solution for your business, we’ve outlined our top characteristics and capabilities to prioritize, along with questions you should ask before making a decision.
Must-Have Characteristics & Capabilities of an Effective Modern Cloud Email Security Solution
Powerful Anti-Phishing Capabilities
Phishing is one of the most prevalent, sophisticated and versatile threats businesses face. Over 90% of all cyberattacks begin with a phishing email, and despite existing protection in Office 365 and Workspace, 30% of phishing attempts are opened by target users in these platforms.
Real-time supplementary phishing protection is critical in safeguarding Office 365 and Workplace against today’s increasingly stealthy and highly targeted phishing attacks. We strongly recommend selecting an AI-based solution that proactively identifies modern attacks and quarantines then before they reach the inbox. Phishing attacks often leverage spoofing and malicious links to deceive users and steal credentials. To protect against these malicious tactics, an effective solution uses multiple email authentication standards and protocols including SPF, DMARC and DKIM to validate sender identity and prevent sender fraud, and implements malicious URL protection to validate the safety and legitimacy of all links and attachments. Ensure that the supplementary protection you select thoroughly analyzes all email attributes including sender and domain reputation and message content, as well as the email header, signature and envelope.
Predictive Spam & Virus Protection
Spam email and viruses are not only extremely aggravating, they can also be highly dangerous for businesses. Spam often contains malicious links and attachments which are used to steal sensitive data or infect systems with malware, and an email virus can result in inconvenient, costly downtime for any organization. The traditional spam filters and signature-based antivirus software provided as default protection to cloud email users is insufficient in safeguarding against today’s spam and viruses, as spammers are now using advanced, stealthy techniques like social engineering to evade spam filters and deceive users, and complex polymorphic viruses are capable of modifying themselves to avoid the detection of signature-based antivirus software.
Fortifying Office 365 and Workspace email against spam and viruses requires proactive, real-time supplementary defenses that include multiple layers of detection engines capable of performing predictive spam and virus detection through heuristics analysis, an advanced technique that scans messages for characteristics and behaviors that are unique to spam email. We recommend that you choose a solution that also implements an innovative spam filtration framework like Spamassassin as another valuable layer of spam protection.
Fully-Managed Email Security Services
Ongoing expert system monitoring, maintenance and support can simplify administration, improve security and reduce costs - delivering a rapid return on investment (ROI). Thus, we urge you to select a supplementary email security solution accompanied by fully-managed services, where experts work with your team to understand your business’s security needs, identify individuals within your organization who are most likely to be targeted in an attack and closely monitor them to watch for targeted threats. Office 365 and Workspace must be properly set up and configured to prevent dangerous misconfiguration vulnerabilities, and these experts should be able to assist in this process as well.
Complete Visibility into Your Email Security
We recommend selecting an open-source email security solution to bolster Office 365 and Workspace security defenses. Software and technology with transparent open-source code has the potential to achieve higher levels of security than proprietary products because of the thorough scrutiny it undergoes by a worldwide community of user-developers. Due to this constant review, vulnerabilities are found and fixed rapidly in open-source email security solutions. Open-source solutions are also highly effective in preventing phishing and zero-day attacks. In an open-source model applied to the development of email security software, emails gathered from millions of systems worldwide are used to identify patterns and perform large-scale tests on filters and frameworks that have been developed to block malicious email. Results are then distributed back to the community, where the insight gathered is rapidly incorporated into open-source solutions through real-time updates, ensuring that new phishing campaigns and zero-day vulnerabilities discovered in one part of the world are quickly addressed and contained before they have a chance to spread.
We also strongly urge you to choose a solution that provides complete visibility into your email security data and the threats targeting your organization via an accessible, user-friendly Dashboard administrative portal. This visibility will increase the level of security, effectiveness and cost-efficiency a solution is able to provide your company, enabling better cybersecurity planning, allocation of resources and enforcement of company security policies, reducing your exposure to risk and providing granular control over your email systems.
Questions to Ask When Weighing Your Options:
- Does the solution provide multi-layered real-time phishing protection?
- Does it seamlessly integrate with and effectively complement existing protection in O365 and Workspace?
- Does it provide malicious URL protection, sender authentication, and complete analysis of every aspect of email communications?
- Does it include predictive spam and virus detection using heuristics analysis?
- Is it accompanied by expert managed services and accessible support?
- Does it have a secure open-source foundation and ongoing community support?
- Does it offer complete visibility into your email security via an accessible real-time Dashboard?
Office 365 and Workspace users are highly susceptible to attack without effective supplementary email security defenses in place. Built-in protection is insufficient in securing cloud email, and the majority of traditional email security solutions are unable to detect and block sophisticated modern attacks like fileless malware, spear phishing and zero-day exploits. Businesses should select a solution that provides layered real-time protection, designed to fill the gaps in default cloud email security defenses with characteristics including powerful anti-phishing capabilities, predictive spam and virus protection, fully-managed email security services and complete visibility into your email security. The costs of email-borne cyberattacks and breaches are exponentially growing, and the danger they pose to your business is too great to take lightly.
Ready to reap the benefits of Office 365 without the risk? Learn about a threat-ready, fully-supported solution designed to make Office 365 email safe for business. Get a Demo>
- Thinking Strategically about Email Security in 2021 and Beyond
- There’s a Lot to be Gained with Effective Email Security
- Behind the Shield: EnGarde Cloud Email Security Explained
- Open Source: A Powerful, Yet Underutilized Weapon against Phishing & Zero-Day Attacks
- Buyer's Guide: What to Prioritize in an Email Security Solution
- Buyer's Guide to Office 365 & Workspace Email Security
- EnGarde Cloud Email Security: The Logical Solution to Cyber Risk in Office 365
- Exchange Servers Are Vulnerable - Learn How To Secure Your Email Server Now
- Top Email Security Risks in 2021 - How To Set Your Business Up for Safety & Success
- Ransomware By The Numbers: How Big Is My Risk?
- SMB Ransomware Warnings & How To Prevent an Attack
- Apache SpamAssassin 3.4.6 Release Fixes Two Potentially Aggravating Bugs
- Top Tips and Advice for Staying Safe Online in a Work-from-Home World
- Demystifying Phishing Attacks: How to Protect Yourself Now
- Why Your Business Needs Better Email Security
- Why Ransomware is a Threat to Business
- How to Protect Sensitive Data & Maintain Client Trust in Financial Services Industry
- Why Office 365 Users Are Moving Away from Relying on Default Email Protection Alone
- What You Need to Know to Shield Your Business from Ransomware
- Why You Need DMARC to Secure Email against Spoofing Attacks & Sender Fraud
- Biden's Cybersecurity Efforts Highlight the Power of this Key Technology
- Shortcomings of Endpoint Security in Securing Business Email
- Open Source Utilization in Email Security Demystified
- Limitations of Microsoft 365 Email Security & How To Close These Dangerous Gaps
- DMARC Quarantine vs. Reject: Which Should You Implement to Secure Business Email against Sender Fraud?
- Think Like A Criminal: What You Need to Know About Social Engineering Attacks in 2021
- TLS Email Encryption Explained - How To Encrypt Email with TLS
- Effectively Securing Business Email Accounts: Are Employees the Weakest Link?
- Encryption: An Essential Yet Highly Controversial Component of Digital Security
- Business Email Security Redefined: Key Benefits of Securing Your Business Email with Guardian Digital
- 8 Business Email Security Best Practices
- Demystifying Email Encryption: Stop Sender Fraud
- Demystifying Tax Fraud: How to Avoid Falling Victim to Deceptive, Costly Scams This Tax Season
- Coronavirus Phishing Scams are On the Rise - Is Your Business Email at Risk of Infection?
- Dave Wreski: A Passionate Engineer Brings the Power of Open Source to Business Email Security
- FBI: Existing Cloud Email Protection Inadequate Against Phishing, Ransomware
- Email Risk is Universal: Securing Business Email in Every Industry Sector
- The Remote Worker's Guide to Safely Navigating Office 365
- Why Your Business Needs Superior Email Protection
- Defending Against COVID Email Spoofing Attacks with DMARC
- You’ve Got Mail: How To Tell If It’s Fraud
- Open-Source Security Is Opening Eyes
- Think Like A Criminal: How To Write A Phishing Email
- The Four Biggest Email Threats Your Business Faces Today
- Everything On DocuSign Phishing Attacks in 3 Minutes
- Understanding Payload-Less Email Attacks in Under 3 Minutes
- Demystifying Fileless Malware in Less than 3 Minutes
- Apache SpamAssassin Leads A Growing List of Open-Source Projects Taking Steps to Correct Instances of Racism and White Privilege
- Cyber Risk Is Greater than Ever in the Legal Industry
- Understanding Malicious URL Protection - And Why You Need It to Secure Your Email
- Email Security for SMBs Beyond COVID-19
- Email Risk Is BIG for SMBs - How To Protect Your Business Now
- Why Email Security Is More Important Than Ever in This 'New Reality'
- The Threat of CEO Fraud Extends Beyond the C-Suite
- Top Email Security Trends Putting Your Business at Risk of Attack
- Managed Services: A Key Element of Effective Email Security that Even Modern Solutions Lack
- How to maintain security when employees work remotely: Advice from Leading Security Experts
- FBI: The 2020 Presidential Election Is Under Attack by Email Scammers
- AT&T Security Researchers Identify a Correlation between Strong Cybersecurity and Business Success
- The Aftermath of a Cyberattack Pt. 1: Phishing Recovery Basics
- It Pays to be Prepared! Ransomware Preparedness & Recovery Basics
- Breaking Down Fileless Malware: Anatomy of an Attack
- Keep the Holidays Merry & Bright - Beware of These Sneaky Seasonal Phishing Scams
- Migrating Business Email: The Hidden Complexities You Need To Know
- SPF, DKIM & DMARC: Definition & How They Secure Email Against Sender Fraud?
- Your Current Approach to Email Security May Not Be Enough
- Ways to Prevent Email Account being compromised in a Breach
- Celebrating 20 Years of Revolutionizing Digital Security
- IBM Closes its $34 Billion Acquisition of Red Hat
- Interview with Security Expert and Author Ira Winkler
- What is Phishing Email? How to prevent Phishing email scams?
- Ways Our Business Email Exceed Your Expectations
- Spear Phishing Protection - Definition & How To Recognize Spear Phishing Email
- What is Whaling (Whaling Phishing)? & How to Prevent Whaling attacks?
- Business Email Compromise (BEC) - Definition & Prevention From BEC Attacks
- Wire Transfer Scams Involving Real Estate Transactions: How to Prevent Fraud with Effective Email Security
- Guardian Digital and Mautic: A Dynamic Open-Source Duo
- Email Malware - How to Recognize & Prevent Malware Email Attack
- An Open-Source Success Story: Apache SpamAssassin Celebrates 18 Years of Effectively Combating Spam Email
- What is Spam Email - Types & How to Prevent Spam Emails?
- 2020: A New Decade of Digital Threats - Is Your Business Email Secure?
- Linux: An OS Capable of Effectively Meeting the US Government’s Security Needs Heading into 2020
- Complete Guide on Email Security & Threats Faced by Organizations
- Email Virus - Complete Guide to Email Viruses Plus Best Practices
- What Are Zero-Day Attacks & How Can I Prevent Them?
- Guardian Digital Keeps its Customers Protected from Intel Design Flaw
- Security Spotlight: Open Source Email Security Solutions
- Top Six Advantages of Open Source Development/Products
- Python and Bash - Contenders for the most used scripting language
- Guardian Digital Outlines Top 4 Benefits of Choosing Cloud
- Unrivaled Protection Against Today’s Most Dangerous Threats
- Guard Your Email Accounts Against Today’s Most Dangerous Threats
- Security Highlights from Defcon 26
- Linux / Open Source FAQs: Common Myths / Misconceptions
- Email Security FAQs Answered by Guardian Digital
- Guardian Digital Mail Systems: Designed to be Secure Without Fail