Demystifying Email Encryption: Stop Sender Fraud
- by Brittany Day
With its recent prominence in the media and the heated controversy surrounding it, chances are you’re familiar with encryption -- but are you aware of the critical role it plays in securing business email accounts and protecting sensitive information?
Encryption is an essential element of any successful email security strategy or solution. It protects sensitive information shared via email such as financials, customer records and intellectual property, while preventing data loss. However, many business email security providers fail to implement email encryption to its fullest, leaving users at risk, and often giving a false sense of security. Moreover, a disappointing number of providers make email encryption inaccessible by requiring a complex setup and ongoing maintenance that many organizations lack the experience and time to implement properly. The good news is that effective email encryption does not need to be complicated, expensive or inconvenient. This article aims to demystify email encryption -- what it is, why it is crucial to businesses’ safety and success and how it is incorporated in a comprehensive, reputable business email security solution.
What is email encryption and why is it so important?
Encryption refers to the process of encoding information, making it accessible to authorized parties only. It is a critical aspect of protecting data in transit via email. Email encryption involves encrypting email messages in order to ensure that the content can only be read by intended recipients, preventing data leaks and breaches.
Email authentication is an essential part of securing email messages with encryption, and can be implemented using SPF, DKIM and DMARC, three protocols that are highly effective in combating sender fraud. These standards were designed to supplement SMTP, the basic protocol used to send email, which does not include any authentication mechanisms. These protocols work together to detect forged messages and detect spoofing. These sender authentication protocols are highly effective in stopping sender fraud and securing email communications, and should be prioritized when evaluating a business email security solution.
Multi-Layered Email Encryption: Superior Security through a Defense-in-Depth Approach
When it comes to implementing SPF, DMARC and DKIM, a defense-in-depth approach is highly advantageous. While each one of these protocols is beneficial on its own, the three standards are most effective when used together, as part of a comprehensive, multi-tiered business cloud email security solution, and not all providers deliver on that.
Unlike many business email security providers, Guardian Digital implements email encryption to its fullest. Guardian Digital EnGarde Cloud Email Security uses SPF, DMARC and DKIM to build a secure tunnel between mail systems, providing complete end-to-end email protection. EnGarde’s modern open-source design features multiple layers of advanced encryption technologies working harmoniously to secure email communications and prevent sophisticated attacks such as spear phishing, ransomware, and business email compromise (BEC). While some solutions make email encryption complicated and difficult to implement, EnGarde can be seamlessly incorporated into organizations’ existing email infrastructure, providing simple yet highly effective business email protection and delivering a rapid return on investment.
The Bottom Line
Email encryption is a vital part of any effective email security strategy. It protects sensitive data shared over email and prevents email-borne attacks. Businesses should prioritize implementing solid, multi-layered email authentication as a component of a well-designed, reputable cloud email security solution. Luckily, with Guardian Digital doing so can be easy, convenient and affordable!
- Effectively Securing Business Email Accounts: Are Employees the Weakest Link?
- Encryption: An Essential Yet Highly Controversial Component of Digital Security
- Business Email Security Redefined: Key Benefits of Securing Your Business Email with Guardian Digital
- 8 Business Email Security Best Practices
- Demystifying Email Encryption: Stop Sender Fraud
- Demystifying Phishing Attacks: How to Protect Yourself Now
- Demystifying Tax Fraud: How to Avoid Falling Victim to Deceptive, Costly Scams This Tax Season
- Coronavirus Phishing Scams are On the Rise - Is Your Business Email at Risk of Infection?
- Dave Wreski: Founder of Guardian Digital – Open Source Cloud Email Security
- New Ransomware Warnings: Is Your Business Safe from This Silent Threat?
- FBI: Existing Cloud Email Protection Inadequate Against Phishing, Ransomware
- Email Risk is Universal: Securing Business Email in Every Industry Sector
- How To Safely Navigate Office 365 While Working Remotely
- Tips and Advice for Staying Safe Online During COVID-19
- Why Your Business Needs Better Email Security
- Defending Against COVID Email Spoofing Attacks with DMARC
- You’ve Got Mail: How To Tell If It’s Fraud
- Open-Source Security Is Opening Eyes
- Think Like A Criminal: How To Write A Phishing Email
- The Four Biggest Email Threats Your Business Faces Today
- Everything On DocuSign Phishing Attacks in 3 Minutes
- Understanding Payload-Less Email Attacks in Under 3 Minutes
- Demystifying Fileless Malware in Less than 3 Minutes
- How to Protect Sensitive Data & Maintain Client Trust in Financial Services Industry
- Exchange Servers Are Vulnerable - Learn How To Secure Your Email Server Now
- Apache SpamAssassin Leads A Growing List of Open-Source Projects Taking Steps to Correct Instances of Racism and White Privilege
- Cyber Risk Is Greater than Ever in the Legal Industry
- Understanding Malicious URL Protection - And Why You Need It to Secure Your Email
- Email Security for SMBs Beyond COVID-19
- Email Risk Is BIG for SMBs - How To Protect Your Business Now
- Email Threats By The Numbers: How Big Is My Risk?
- The Modern Email Threat Landscape: Where Traditional Defenses Fall Short
- Why Email Security Is More Important Than Ever in This 'New Reality'
- The Threat of CEO Fraud Extends Beyond the C-Suite
- Top Email Security Trends Putting Your Business at Risk of Attack
- Think Like A Criminal: What You Need to Know About Social Engineering Attacks in 2020
- Your Current Approach to Email Security May Not Be Enough
- Ways to Prevent Email Account being compromised in a Breach
- Celebrating 20 Years of Revolutionizing Digital Security
- IBM Closes its $34 Billion Acquisition of Red Hat
- Interview with Security Expert and Author Ira Winkler
- What is Phishing Email? How to prevent Phishing email scams?
- Ways Our Business Email Exceed Your Expectations
- Spear Phishing Protection - Definition & How To Recognize Spear Phishing Email
- What is Whaling (Whaling Phishing)? & How to Prevent Whaling attacks?
- Ransomware Attack Explained - Best Practices For Ransomware Protection
- Business Email Compromise (BEC) - Definition & Prevention From BEC Attacks
- Wire Transfer Scams Involving Real Estate Transactions: How to Prevent Fraud with Effective Email Security
- Guardian Digital and Mautic: A Dynamic Open-Source Duo
- Email Malware - How to Recognize & Prevent Malware Email Attack
- An Open-Source Success Story: Apache SpamAssassin Celebrates 18 Years of Effectively Combating Spam Email
- What is Spam Email - Types & How to Prevent Spam Emails?
- Email Virus - Complete Guide to Email Viruses Plus Best Practices
- What Is A Zero-Day Attack & How To Prevent Zero Day Exploit?
- 2020: A New Decade of Digital Threats - Is Your Business Email Secure?
- Linux: An OS Capable of Effectively Meeting the US Government’s Security Needs Heading into 2020
- Email Security: Complete Guide on Email Security & Types of Email Threats
- Guardian Digital Keeps its Customers Protected from Intel Design Flaw
- Security Spotlight: Open Source Email Security Solutions
- Top Six Advantages of Open Source Development/Products
- Python and Bash - Contenders for the most used scripting language
- Guardian Digital Outlines Top 4 Benefits of Choosing Cloud
- Unrivaled Protection Against Today’s Most Dangerous Threats
- Guard Your Email Accounts Against Today’s Most Dangerous Threats
- Security Highlights from Defcon 26
- Linux / Open Source FAQs: Common Myths / Misconceptions
- Email Security FAQs Answered by Guardian Digital
- Guardian Digital Mail Systems: Designed to be Secure Without Fail