Behind the Shield: EnGarde Cloud Email Security Explained
- by Brittany Day
Proactive, multi-layered email security defenses are of critical importance to businesses’ security and success in 2021 and beyond. Over 90% of modern cyberattacks begin with a phishing email. Threats such as spear phishing, fileless malware and zero-day exploits are rapidly evolving to become increasingly sophisticated, evasive and costly for victims.
Static, single-layered defenses - like those built into Microsoft Office 365 and Google Workspace - are no longer effective in combating today’s advanced attacks. This article will explore the inner workings of Guardian Digital EnGarde Cloud Email Security - an innovative, full-managed supplementary email security solution capable of safeguarding your users, your data and your brand against the most sophisticated and dangerous attacks.
Proactive, Multi-Layered Protection
Effective email security is contingent upon defense in depth. No single security feature is sufficient in fortifying email against sophisticated modern exploits. We recognize this and have engineered our landmark solution - EnGarde Cloud Email Security - with an intuitive, multi-layered design. The various layers of security that comprise EnGarde work harmoniously to detect and block threats in real-time, building on each other to provide stronger, more effective protection than any of these features would on its own. Informed by global Threat Intelligence data gathered through Artificial Intelligence (AI), Open-Source Intelligence (OSINT) and Machine Learning (ML), EnGarde is constantly learning from and adapting to the threats that challenge it and updating its protection in real-time to remain ahead of emerging threats and prevent future attacks.
Let’s take a closer look at the “layers” of EnGarde, and the role that each pays in fortifying the inbox.
Breaking It Down: Defining Features of EnGarde Cloud Email Security
Open-Source Community Input
Unlike any other solution on the market, EnGarde draws on extensive resources, tools and intelligence available through the vibrant, global open-source community. A product of open-source development, EnGarde is uniquely supported by a collaborative, innovative global input program - resulting in rapid updates and superior security and resiliency. In this community-powered development model, emails gathered from millions of systems from around the world are used to identify patterns and perform large-scale tests on filters. Results of these tests are then distributed back to Guardian Digital engineers and incorporated into EnGarde.
Expert Managed Services & Accessible Support
Managed Services are a key component of an effective email security solution that is too often overlooked. Ongoing expert system monitoring, maintenance and support can simplify administration, improve security and reduce costs - delivering a rapid return on investment (ROI).
EnGarde is managed around-the-clock by a team of experienced security experts who become a valuable extension of your company’s IT team, partnering with your business in securing its users, critical data and reputation, and acting as the front line of defense against cyber criminals. Our experts work with you to understand your security needs, identifying individuals within your organization who are most likely to be targeted in an attack and closely monitoring them to watch for targeted threats.
Layered Email Authentication Protocols
Email authentication protocols - namely, SPF, DMARC and DKIM - are crucial in preventing sender fraud and protecting sensitive information. These key standards verify sender identity and confirm the legitimacy of email communications.
EnGarde implements SPF, DMARC and DKIM to their fullest to prevent phishing and spoofing attacks and protect sensitive data in transit. EnGarde goes beyond standard measures of email authentication, tracking hundreds of thousands of message attributes including sender-recipient relationships, domain reputation, email headers and envelope attributes and message content.
Malicious URL Protection
Phishing is the predominant modern cybersecurity threat that businesses face. Since the majority of phishing emails leverage malicious links to trick users into sharing sensitive credentials or installing malware on their devices, Malicious URL Protection pays a central role in identifying and blocking these dangerous, costly attacks.
EnGarde features Guardian Digital URL Protect, which provides state-of-the-art malicious URL protection by extracting links from Microsoft Office documents, PDFs, archive files (ZIP, AIZip, JAR) and other file types (uuencoded, HTML) and conducting a dynamic real-time analysis of these files in order to detect malicious URLs leading to compromise.
Spam & Virus Protection
Spam and viruses are serious, persistent threats to all email users. Spam email is not only annoying, it can also contain dangerous links and attachments, and an email virus can result in inconvenient and costly downtime for your organization. Traditional spam filters and signature-based antivirus software alone are no longer sufficient to protect users, systems and critical data. Spammers are now using advanced, stealthy techniques such as social engineering to evade spam filters and deceive users, and complex polymorphic viruses are capable of modifying themselves to avoid detection. Modern spam and virus protection requires adaptive, layered defenses, such as those seen in EnGarde.
EnGarde features multiple layers of detection engines capable of performing predictive spam and virus detection through heuristics analysis - an advanced technique that scans messages for characteristics and behaviors that are unique to spam email. The SpamAssassin spam filtration framework is also built into EnGarde’s layered architecture. If SpamAssassin’s software indicates that a message resembles spam, EnGarde quarantines the email - preventing it from reaching the end user. SpamAssassin works in concert with EnGarde’s other proactive detection features to reliably block spam email, while keeping the rate of false positives impressively low.
Once a message has been scrutinized by all of EnGarde’s security features and technologies, it is deemed either “malicious” or “safe”. All malicious mail is quarantined - never reaching the intended recipient’s inbox, where it could potentially cause great harm. Only confirmed legitimate, safe mail is delivered to the end user - mitigating the risk that human error and poor user security practices pose to your organization.
Is your current email security strategy providing you with the caliber of intuitive, layered protection that is necessary to protect your business against today’s advanced threats? Evaluate your current email security posture using our free Email Risk Assessment Tool.
Does your current email strategy have room for improvement? Are you interested in upgrading your email security defenses and protecting your most critical assets with EnGarde? One of our security experts would love to speak with you. Let’s get in touch.>
- Thinking Strategically about Email Security in 2021 and Beyond
- There’s a Lot to be Gained with Effective Email Security
- Behind the Shield: EnGarde Cloud Email Security Explained
- Open Source: A Powerful, Yet Underutilized Weapon against Phishing & Zero-Day Attacks
- Buyer's Guide: What to Prioritize in an Email Security Solution
- Buyer's Guide to Office 365 & Workspace Email Security
- EnGarde Cloud Email Security: The Logical Solution to Cyber Risk in Office 365
- Exchange Servers Are Vulnerable - Learn How To Secure Your Email Server Now
- Top Email Security Risks in 2021 - How To Set Your Business Up for Safety & Success
- Ransomware By The Numbers: How Big Is My Risk?
- SMB Ransomware Warnings & How To Prevent an Attack
- Apache SpamAssassin 3.4.6 Release Fixes Two Potentially Aggravating Bugs
- Top Tips and Advice for Staying Safe Online in a Work-from-Home World
- Demystifying Phishing Attacks: How to Protect Yourself Now
- Why Your Business Needs Better Email Security
- Why Ransomware is a Threat to Business
- How to Protect Sensitive Data & Maintain Client Trust in Financial Services Industry
- Effectively Securing Business Email Accounts: Are Employees the Weakest Link?
- Encryption: An Essential Yet Highly Controversial Component of Digital Security
- Business Email Security Redefined: Key Benefits of Securing Your Business Email with Guardian Digital
- 8 Business Email Security Best Practices
- Demystifying Email Encryption: Stop Sender Fraud
- Demystifying Tax Fraud: How to Avoid Falling Victim to Deceptive, Costly Scams This Tax Season
- Coronavirus Phishing Scams are On the Rise - Is Your Business Email at Risk of Infection?
- Dave Wreski: A Passionate Engineer Brings the Power of Open Source to Business Email Security
- FBI: Existing Cloud Email Protection Inadequate Against Phishing, Ransomware
- Email Risk is Universal: Securing Business Email in Every Industry Sector
- The Remote Worker's Guide to Safely Navigating Office 365
- Why Your Business Needs Better Email Security
- Defending Against COVID Email Spoofing Attacks with DMARC
- You’ve Got Mail: How To Tell If It’s Fraud
- Open-Source Security Is Opening Eyes
- Think Like A Criminal: How To Write A Phishing Email
- The Four Biggest Email Threats Your Business Faces Today
- Everything On DocuSign Phishing Attacks in 3 Minutes
- Understanding Payload-Less Email Attacks in Under 3 Minutes
- Demystifying Fileless Malware in Less than 3 Minutes
- Apache SpamAssassin Leads A Growing List of Open-Source Projects Taking Steps to Correct Instances of Racism and White Privilege
- Cyber Risk Is Greater than Ever in the Legal Industry
- Understanding Malicious URL Protection - And Why You Need It to Secure Your Email
- Email Security for SMBs Beyond COVID-19
- Email Risk Is BIG for SMBs - How To Protect Your Business Now
- Why Email Security Is More Important Than Ever in This 'New Reality'
- The Threat of CEO Fraud Extends Beyond the C-Suite
- Top Email Security Trends Putting Your Business at Risk of Attack
- Think Like A Criminal: What You Need to Know About Social Engineering Attacks in 2020
- Managed Services: A Key Element of Effective Email Security that Even Modern Solutions Lack
- How to maintain security when employees work remotely: Advice from Leading Security Experts
- FBI: The 2020 Presidential Election Is Under Attack by Email Scammers
- AT&T Security Researchers Identify a Correlation between Strong Cybersecurity and Business Success
- The Aftermath of a Cyberattack Pt. 1: Phishing Recovery Basics
- It Pays to be Prepared! Ransomware Preparedness & Recovery Basics
- Breaking Down Fileless Malware: Anatomy of an Attack
- Office 365 Email Is Vulnerable to Attack Without These Critical Supplementary Defenses in Place
- Keep the Holidays Merry & Bright - Beware of These Sneaky Seasonal Phishing Scams
- Migrating Business Email: The Hidden Complexities You Need To Know
- How Do SPF, DMARC & DKIM Secure Email Against Sender Fraud?
- Your Current Approach to Email Security May Not Be Enough
- Ways to Prevent Email Account being compromised in a Breach
- Celebrating 20 Years of Revolutionizing Digital Security
- IBM Closes its $34 Billion Acquisition of Red Hat
- Interview with Security Expert and Author Ira Winkler
- What is Phishing Email? How to prevent Phishing email scams?
- Ways Our Business Email Exceed Your Expectations
- Spear Phishing Protection - Definition & How To Recognize Spear Phishing Email
- What is Whaling (Whaling Phishing)? & How to Prevent Whaling attacks?
- Ransomware Attack Explained - Best Practices For Ransomware Protection
- Business Email Compromise (BEC) - Definition & Prevention From BEC Attacks
- Wire Transfer Scams Involving Real Estate Transactions: How to Prevent Fraud with Effective Email Security
- Guardian Digital and Mautic: A Dynamic Open-Source Duo
- Email Malware - How to Recognize & Prevent Malware Email Attack
- An Open-Source Success Story: Apache SpamAssassin Celebrates 18 Years of Effectively Combating Spam Email
- What is Spam Email - Types & How to Prevent Spam Emails?
- 2020: A New Decade of Digital Threats - Is Your Business Email Secure?
- Linux: An OS Capable of Effectively Meeting the US Government’s Security Needs Heading into 2020
- Complete Guide on Email Security & Threats Faced by Organizations
- Email Virus - Complete Guide to Email Viruses Plus Best Practices
- What Are Zero-Day Attacks & How Can I Prevent Them?
- Guardian Digital Keeps its Customers Protected from Intel Design Flaw
- Security Spotlight: Open Source Email Security Solutions
- Top Six Advantages of Open Source Development/Products
- Python and Bash - Contenders for the most used scripting language
- Guardian Digital Outlines Top 4 Benefits of Choosing Cloud
- Unrivaled Protection Against Today’s Most Dangerous Threats
- Guard Your Email Accounts Against Today’s Most Dangerous Threats
- Security Highlights from Defcon 26
- Linux / Open Source FAQs: Common Myths / Misconceptions
- Email Security FAQs Answered by Guardian Digital
- Guardian Digital Mail Systems: Designed to be Secure Without Fail