Managed Services: A Key Element of Effective Email Security that Even Modern Solutions Lack
- by Brittany Day
Whether it’s the mask we wear when running errands or the bottle of hand sanitizer we now carry with us at all times, we are constantly reminded of the increased physical risk we face daily due to COVID. However, our health is not the only thing that has been threatened by this pandemic. The email threat landscape has remodeled how we work over the past six months - leaving businesses, users and critical data at heightened risk.
Businesses are becoming increasingly aware of the threats they face online - the majority of which involve email. Email security defenses are evolving, desperately trying to keep pace with sophisticated emerging attacks stealthily crafted to evade detection. However, there is one key area where even the most innovative, modern email security solutions consistently fall short: managed services. An effective email security solution cannot simply be selected and purchased, leaving the responsibility of configuration and management in the hands of the administrator. Rather, securing business email is an ongoing process that requires around-the-clock monitoring and maintenance by a team of experts, dedicated to understanding the evolving risks and applying the specific real-time guidance necessary to each individual business. Failure to implement a business email security solution accompanied by continual, expert management, system monitoring and support services often leaves businesses vulnerable to attack - even with supplementary email defenses in place.
In order to secure email against today’s most advanced exploits, it is essential that businesses have a fully-managed email security solution in place, designed to protect against the specific threats each individual business faces, to provide the level of expertise and support needed to safeguard sensitive data and other key assets in this modern digital threat environment.
The Modern Email Threat Landscape
2020 has introduced an era of unprecedented digital risk for businesses worldwide. In this new reality of social distancing, remote work and virtual meetings, existing threats have been magnified and new threats have been introduced. Widespread migration to Office 365 and G Suite to fulfill communication and collaboration needs has made cloud email a more popular target than ever for cyber criminals’ malicious attack campaigns. Threat actors are exploiting overworked IT staff, inherently insecure cloud platforms, misconfigurations due to rushed deployments of Office 365 and G Suite, improperly secured endpoints and poor administration to target businesses in dangerous, costly scams designed to compromise systems and steal sensitive data.
Many of these attacks leverage zero-day exploits and stealthy fileless techniques to evade built-in cloud email security defenses. And these malicious tactics have proven to be successful - the FBI reports that despite existing security defenses, 30% of phishing attempts are opened by target users.
Additional protection is clearly needed to defend against phishing, ransomware and other malicious email exploits in this heightened digital threat environment.
For many businesses - especially SMBs - a lack of cyber security resources and expertise has been an ongoing challenge, which has only been exacerbated by the COVID-19 crisis. Sixty-two percent of organizations will tighten their 2021 IT budgets due to COVID-19 - and will sacrifice security by doing so. Small businesses often lack a full-time IT department or mail administrator, and even with these positions filled, organizations cannot rely on IT professionals, who are often not trained email security experts, to secure corporate email accounts.
That being said, the harsh reality is that businesses of all sizes in all industries have a lot to lose to cyber thieves. A successful attack or breach can result in data theft, financial loss, reputation damage and significant downtime or worse - permanent closure. With over 40% of SMBs being targeted daily by cyber criminals, a business owner needs to ask him or herself - can I really afford to risk my clients, my reputation and my business by leaving corporate email accounts an ‘open door’ to threat actors?
Investing in managed email security services that simplify administration and provide ongoing supplementary cloud email protection can enhance security, optimize efficiency and provide an invaluable peace-of-mind - freeing up valuable cyber security resources and enabling business owners and administrators to focus on aspects of running a business besides securing email accounts.
The Solution: Simplify Administration and Enhance Cloud Email Security with Guardian Digital Managed Services
Guardian Digital recognizes that setup and management are significant hurdles for SMBs looking to implement an effective cloud email security solution, and that protecting against today’s advanced threats requires a level of expertise beyond what the majority of businesses can find within their organization. Guardian Digital EnGarde Cloud Email Security addresses these critical challenges with all-in-one, fully-managed security defenses. EnGarde is more than security software. Rather, it is a multi-layered, enterprise-grade email defense platform accompanied by expert, managed services and accessible, around-the-clock customer support. While other email security solutions put the responsibility of setup, maintenance and system monitoring into the hands of the administrator - requiring them to fully understand how email security works, the implications of enabling and disabling a setting or filter, and what changes may be necessary to take full advantage of the protection offered - we assume these responsibilities for our clients, serving as the front line of defense against cyber thieves. We build on the protection our solution provides, becoming a permanent extension of the client's technical team. Our professional security engineers consider the individual risks our clients face and develop and implement a strategy specific to them. This involves identifying the individuals within an organization who are most likely to be targeted in an attack, and closely monitoring them to watch for spear phishing attempts and other highly targeted threats.
We acknowledge that SMBs face many of the same risks and share many of the same needs as large corporations - and require the same caliber of technology to remain secure. Our unique open-source development approach provides us with access to tools and resources from a vibrant global community, which our expert engineers have used to make affordable, enterprise-grade protection available to businesses of all sizes.
Guardian Digital security experts are there to assist you from the start and on an ongoing basis - quickly and seamlessly integrating our platform with your systems, taking time to learn about your business’s operations and key assets, customizing our security suite to meet your company’s individual needs, performing continual system monitoring and maintenance and answering any questions you may have. With Guardian Digital, expert, attentive support is only a phone call, text or email away. Other key benefits of securing your business email with Guardian Digital EnGarde Cloud Email Security include:
- Keeps you ahead of phishing, ransomware and other persistent and emerging threats with real-time malicious URL protection
- Protects sensitive information and prevents email fraud with layered sender authentication protocols
- Fortifies cloud email against credential phishing and account takeovers
In the context of this heightened email threat landscape, implementing managed supplementary email security defenses pays for itself in preventing a potential cyber attack or breach. Without effective security defenses in place accompanied by the expert services required to take full advantage of this technology, business owners are leaving the future of their company on the line. Now is the time to ask yourself - can I afford to not make email security a priority?
Ready to partner with an industry leader in securing your users, your data and your business for the future now? Let’s get in touch>
- Thinking Strategically about Email Security in 2021 and Beyond
- There’s a Lot to be Gained with Effective Email Security
- Behind the Shield: EnGarde Cloud Email Security Explained
- Open Source: A Powerful, Yet Underutilized Weapon against Phishing & Zero-Day Attacks
- Buyer's Guide: What to Prioritize in an Email Security Solution
- Buyer's Guide to Office 365 & Workspace Email Security
- EnGarde Cloud Email Security: The Logical Solution to Cyber Risk in Office 365
- Exchange Servers Are Vulnerable - Learn How To Secure Your Email Server Now
- Top Email Security Risks in 2021 - How To Set Your Business Up for Safety & Success
- Ransomware By The Numbers: How Big Is My Risk?
- SMB Ransomware Warnings & How To Prevent an Attack
- Apache SpamAssassin 3.4.6 Release Fixes Two Potentially Aggravating Bugs
- Top Tips and Advice for Staying Safe Online in a Work-from-Home World
- Demystifying Phishing Attacks: How to Protect Yourself Now
- Why Your Business Needs Better Email Security
- Why Ransomware is a Threat to Business
- How to Protect Sensitive Data & Maintain Client Trust in Financial Services Industry
- Why Office 365 Users Are Moving Away from Relying on Default Email Protection Alone
- What You Need to Know to Shield Your Business from Ransomware
- Why You Need DMARC to Secure Email against Spoofing Attacks & Sender Fraud
- Biden's Cybersecurity Efforts Highlight the Power of this Key Technology
- Shortcomings of Endpoint Security in Securing Business Email
- Open Source Utilization in Email Security Demystified
- Limitations of Microsoft 365 Email Security & How To Close These Dangerous Gaps
- DMARC Quarantine vs. Reject: Which Should You Implement to Secure Business Email against Sender Fraud?
- Think Like A Criminal: What You Need to Know About Social Engineering Attacks in 2021
- TLS Email Encryption Explained - How To Encrypt Email with TLS
- Effectively Securing Business Email Accounts: Are Employees the Weakest Link?
- Encryption: An Essential Yet Highly Controversial Component of Digital Security
- Business Email Security Redefined: Key Benefits of Securing Your Business Email with Guardian Digital
- 8 Business Email Security Best Practices
- Demystifying Email Encryption: Stop Sender Fraud
- Demystifying Tax Fraud: How to Avoid Falling Victim to Deceptive, Costly Scams This Tax Season
- Coronavirus Phishing Scams are On the Rise - Is Your Business Email at Risk of Infection?
- Dave Wreski: A Passionate Engineer Brings the Power of Open Source to Business Email Security
- FBI: Existing Cloud Email Protection Inadequate Against Phishing, Ransomware
- Email Risk is Universal: Securing Business Email in Every Industry Sector
- The Remote Worker's Guide to Safely Navigating Office 365
- Why Your Business Needs Superior Email Protection
- Defending Against COVID Email Spoofing Attacks with DMARC
- You’ve Got Mail: How To Tell If It’s Fraud
- Open-Source Security Is Opening Eyes
- Think Like A Criminal: How To Write A Phishing Email
- The Four Biggest Email Threats Your Business Faces Today
- Everything On DocuSign Phishing Attacks in 3 Minutes
- Understanding Payload-Less Email Attacks in Under 3 Minutes
- Demystifying Fileless Malware in Less than 3 Minutes
- Apache SpamAssassin Leads A Growing List of Open-Source Projects Taking Steps to Correct Instances of Racism and White Privilege
- Cyber Risk Is Greater than Ever in the Legal Industry
- Understanding Malicious URL Protection - And Why You Need It to Secure Your Email
- Email Security for SMBs Beyond COVID-19
- Email Risk Is BIG for SMBs - How To Protect Your Business Now
- Why Email Security Is More Important Than Ever in This 'New Reality'
- The Threat of CEO Fraud Extends Beyond the C-Suite
- Top Email Security Trends Putting Your Business at Risk of Attack
- Managed Services: A Key Element of Effective Email Security that Even Modern Solutions Lack
- How to maintain security when employees work remotely: Advice from Leading Security Experts
- FBI: The 2020 Presidential Election Is Under Attack by Email Scammers
- AT&T Security Researchers Identify a Correlation between Strong Cybersecurity and Business Success
- The Aftermath of a Cyberattack Pt. 1: Phishing Recovery Basics
- It Pays to be Prepared! Ransomware Preparedness & Recovery Basics
- Breaking Down Fileless Malware: Anatomy of an Attack
- Keep the Holidays Merry & Bright - Beware of These Sneaky Seasonal Phishing Scams
- Migrating Business Email: The Hidden Complexities You Need To Know
- SPF, DKIM & DMARC: Definition & How They Secure Email Against Sender Fraud?
- Your Current Approach to Email Security May Not Be Enough
- Ways to Prevent Email Account being compromised in a Breach
- Celebrating 20 Years of Revolutionizing Digital Security
- IBM Closes its $34 Billion Acquisition of Red Hat
- Interview with Security Expert and Author Ira Winkler
- What is Phishing Email? How to prevent Phishing email scams?
- Ways Our Business Email Exceed Your Expectations
- Spear Phishing Protection - Definition & How To Recognize Spear Phishing Email
- What is Whaling (Whaling Phishing)? & How to Prevent Whaling attacks?
- Business Email Compromise (BEC) - Definition & Prevention From BEC Attacks
- Wire Transfer Scams Involving Real Estate Transactions: How to Prevent Fraud with Effective Email Security
- Guardian Digital and Mautic: A Dynamic Open-Source Duo
- Email Malware - How to Recognize & Prevent Malware Email Attack
- An Open-Source Success Story: Apache SpamAssassin Celebrates 18 Years of Effectively Combating Spam Email
- What is Spam Email - Types & How to Prevent Spam Emails?
- 2020: A New Decade of Digital Threats - Is Your Business Email Secure?
- Linux: An OS Capable of Effectively Meeting the US Government’s Security Needs Heading into 2020
- Complete Guide on Email Security & Threats Faced by Organizations
- Email Virus - Complete Guide to Email Viruses Plus Best Practices
- What Are Zero-Day Attacks & How Can I Prevent Them?
- Guardian Digital Keeps its Customers Protected from Intel Design Flaw
- Security Spotlight: Open Source Email Security Solutions
- Top Six Advantages of Open Source Development/Products
- Python and Bash - Contenders for the most used scripting language
- Guardian Digital Outlines Top 4 Benefits of Choosing Cloud
- Unrivaled Protection Against Today’s Most Dangerous Threats
- Guard Your Email Accounts Against Today’s Most Dangerous Threats
- Security Highlights from Defcon 26
- Linux / Open Source FAQs: Common Myths / Misconceptions
- Email Security FAQs Answered by Guardian Digital
- Guardian Digital Mail Systems: Designed to be Secure Without Fail