New Ransomware Warnings: Is Your Business Safe from This Silent Threat?
- by Brittany Day
Ransomware has become one of the most notorious email-borne threats - these attacks have crippled governments around the country and consistently dominate security news headlines. In the last few months, ransomware attacks from phishing emails have increased by an astounding 109 percent. Cloud systems like Office 365, Dropbox and Google are unprepared and businesses are paying the price - literally.
More organizations are getting hit multiple times, often by the same type of ransomware. Many businesses make the lethal mistake of believing that they are too small to be a viable target for ransomware. This could not be further from the truth. Small- and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) are frequently victimized by ransomware campaigns because attackers recognize and take advantage of the fact that these companies often have smaller security teams and tend to have limited budgets for cyber defense. In 2018, one in three SMBs worldwide were hit by ransomware and one in five were forced to shut down operations completely until the infection was removed. Data reveals that the majority of small businesses are not able to recover from an attack, and 60 percent of small companies go out of business within six months of getting hit with ransomware.
Another common myth is that ransomware attacks are inevitable. Although in reality, the ominous threat that ransomware poses to all businesses can be eliminated by implementing an advanced, multi-layered email security solution.
What is Ransomware and How Does It Work?
Ransomware is a type of malware designed to block access to a computer system until specified ransom - in the form of untraceable Bitcoin - is paid. The malicious software encrypts a victim’s files until the victim has made the payment demanded by the attacker.
Ninety-four percent of malware is delivered via email, and phishing is one of the most common methods of delivery. When a user downloads a malicious attachment within a phishing email which contains ransomware, all of the user’s files are encrypted and made inaccessible until the ransom specified in a message presented to the user is paid.
Best Practices for Preventing a Ransomware Attack:
According to a Pwnie Express survey, 50 percent of cybersecurity professionals do not believe that their organization is prepared to defend against a ransomware attack. While it is not always possible to prevent a successful attack, practicing sound security habits and investing in effective email protection that takes a defense-in-depth approach to safeguarding business email accounts can drastically reduce your risk. Some tips and best practices for preventing a ransomware attack include:
- Think before you click! Make sure you have confirmed the legitimacy of an email before downloading any attachments it contains.
- Make sure your OS is patched and updated - this reduces the chance of vulnerabilities existing that cyber criminals could exploit.
- Back up your files frequently and automatically and protect the back-ups you create. This won’t prevent a ransomware attack, but it can reduce the damage caused by one. Be aware that backups are not foolproof: ransomware may sit idle for weeks until it is triggered, potentially destroying backups.
- Invest in a threat-ready, multi-layered Cloud email security solution that accurately detects malicious emails - such as those containing ransomware - in real-time and prevents them from reaching the inbox.
Guardian Digital EnGarde Cloud Email Security: Next-Generation Protection Against Ransomware and Other Persistent Threats
Guardian Digital recognizes that traditional antivirus software and many conventiontional email security solutions are insufficient in combating ransomware and other advanced modern threats to business email. Guardian Digital EnGarde Cloud Email Security addresses these shortcomings - providing complete, end-to-end email vigilance and identifying the most sophisticated emerging threats in real-time. Key features and benefits of EnGarde’s protection include:
- Multi-layered protection against social engineering and impersonation attacks using state-of-the-art intelligence techniques to recognize both existing and emerging threats in real-time
- Neutralizes threats associated with malicious attachments and links
- End-to-end email encryption and secure delivery - sender authentication protocols including SPF, DMARC and DKIM detect fake From addresses and block them automatically
- Tighter security, adaptive implementation and eliminated risk of vendor lock-in through the use of a transparent, collaborative development approach
- Fully-managed enterprise-grade solution that can be seamlessly implemented into your business’s existing infrastructure
- Scalable cloud-based system simplifies deployment and increases availability
- Expert, caring around-the-clock customer support
Interested in learning more about protecting your business from ransomware and other dangerous, sophisticated threats with Guardian Digital EnGarde Cloud Email Security? Speak with a Security Expert Today.
- Effectively Securing Business Email Accounts: Are Employees the Weakest Link?
- Encryption: An Essential Yet Highly Controversial Component of Digital Security
- Business Email Security Redefined: Key Benefits of Securing Your Business Email with Guardian Digital
- 8 Business Email Security Best Practices
- Demystifying Email Encryption: Stop Sender Fraud
- Demystifying Phishing Attacks: How to Protect Yourself Now
- Demystifying Tax Fraud: How to Avoid Falling Victim to Deceptive, Costly Scams This Tax Season
- Coronavirus Phishing Scams are On the Rise - Is Your Business Email at Risk of Infection?
- Dave Wreski: Founder of Guardian Digital – Open Source Cloud Email Security
- New Ransomware Warnings: Is Your Business Safe from This Silent Threat?
- FBI: Existing Cloud Email Protection Inadequate Against Phishing, Ransomware
- Email Risk is Universal: Securing Business Email in Every Industry Sector
- How To Safely Navigate Office 365 While Working Remotely
- Tips and Advice for Staying Safe Online During COVID-19
- Why Your Business Needs Better Email Security
- Defending Against COVID Email Spoofing Attacks with DMARC
- You’ve Got Mail: How To Tell If It’s Fraud
- Open-Source Security Is Opening Eyes
- Think Like A Criminal: How To Write A Phishing Email
- The Four Biggest Email Threats Your Business Faces Today
- Everything On DocuSign Phishing Attacks in 3 Minutes
- Understanding Payload-Less Email Attacks in Under 3 Minutes
- Demystifying Fileless Malware in Less than 3 Minutes
- How to Protect Sensitive Data & Maintain Client Trust in Financial Services Industry
- Exchange Servers Are Vulnerable - Learn How To Secure Your Email Server Now
- Apache SpamAssassin Leads A Growing List of Open-Source Projects Taking Steps to Correct Instances of Racism and White Privilege
- Cyber Risk Is Greater than Ever in the Legal Industry
- Understanding Malicious URL Protection - And Why You Need It to Secure Your Email
- Email Security for SMBs Beyond COVID-19
- Email Risk Is BIG for SMBs - How To Protect Your Business Now
- Email Threats By The Numbers: How Big Is My Risk?
- The Modern Email Threat Landscape: Where Traditional Defenses Fall Short
- Why Email Security Is More Important Than Ever in This 'New Reality'
- The Threat of CEO Fraud Extends Beyond the C-Suite
- Top Email Security Trends Putting Your Business at Risk of Attack
- Think Like A Criminal: What You Need to Know About Social Engineering Attacks in 2020
- Managed Services: A Key Element of Effective Email Security that Even Modern Solutions Lack
- How To Secure Your Remote Workforce: Advice from Leading Security Experts
- FBI: The 2020 Presidential Election Is Under Attack by Email Scammers
- AT&T Security Researchers Identify a Correlation between Strong Cybersecurity and Business Success
- The Aftermath of a Cyberattack Pt. 1: Phishing Recovery Basics
- It Pays to be Prepared! Ransomware Preparedness & Recovery Basics
- Breaking Down Fileless Malware: Anatomy of an Attack
- Office 365 Email Is Vulnerable to Attack Without These Critical Supplementary Defenses in Place
- Keep the Holidays Merry & Bright - Beware of These Sneaky Seasonal Phishing Scams
- Migrating Business Email: The Hidden Complexities You Need To Know
- How Do SPF, DMARC & DKIM Secure Email Against Sender Fraud?
- Top Email Security Risks Heading into 2021 - How To Set Your Business Up for Safety & Success
- Your Current Approach to Email Security May Not Be Enough
- Ways to Prevent Email Account being compromised in a Breach
- Celebrating 20 Years of Revolutionizing Digital Security
- IBM Closes its $34 Billion Acquisition of Red Hat
- Interview with Security Expert and Author Ira Winkler
- What is Phishing Email? How to prevent Phishing email scams?
- Ways Our Business Email Exceed Your Expectations
- Spear Phishing Protection - Definition & How To Recognize Spear Phishing Email
- What is Whaling (Whaling Phishing)? & How to Prevent Whaling attacks?
- Ransomware Attack Explained - Best Practices For Ransomware Protection
- Business Email Compromise (BEC) - Definition & Prevention From BEC Attacks
- Wire Transfer Scams Involving Real Estate Transactions: How to Prevent Fraud with Effective Email Security
- Guardian Digital and Mautic: A Dynamic Open-Source Duo
- Email Malware - How to Recognize & Prevent Malware Email Attack
- An Open-Source Success Story: Apache SpamAssassin Celebrates 18 Years of Effectively Combating Spam Email
- What is Spam Email - Types & How to Prevent Spam Emails?
- Email Virus - Complete Guide to Email Viruses Plus Best Practices
- What Is A Zero-Day Attack & How To Prevent Zero Day Exploit?
- 2020: A New Decade of Digital Threats - Is Your Business Email Secure?
- Linux: An OS Capable of Effectively Meeting the US Government’s Security Needs Heading into 2020
- Complete Guide on Email Security & Threats Faced by Organizations
- Guardian Digital Keeps its Customers Protected from Intel Design Flaw
- Security Spotlight: Open Source Email Security Solutions
- Top Six Advantages of Open Source Development/Products
- Python and Bash - Contenders for the most used scripting language
- Guardian Digital Outlines Top 4 Benefits of Choosing Cloud
- Unrivaled Protection Against Today’s Most Dangerous Threats
- Guard Your Email Accounts Against Today’s Most Dangerous Threats
- Security Highlights from Defcon 26
- Linux / Open Source FAQs: Common Myths / Misconceptions
- Email Security FAQs Answered by Guardian Digital
- Guardian Digital Mail Systems: Designed to be Secure Without Fail