Ransomware By The Numbers: How Big Is My Risk?
- by Brittany Day
As we continue to rapidly move toward an increasingly digital society, it is no secret that the dangers businesses and users face online have been drastically heightened due to remote workers’ increased reliance on cloud email, vulnerable cloud platforms and insecure behavior online. Ransomware is one of the most serious and persistent threats to all businesses - especially SMBs, who often face a shortage of cybersecurity resources and expertise.
But exactly how big is your ransomware risk? Let’s take a closer look at some key stats that will help answer this question.
2021 Ransomware Facts, Stats & Trends You Should Know
- 67% of ransomware infections in North America can be attributed to phishing.
- The average cost of ransomware-caused downtime is now $380,000 per incident.
- It’s estimated that a business will fall victim to a ransomware attack every 14 seconds.
- 85% of MSPs report ransomware as a common threat to SMBs.
- 29% of SMBs have experience with ransomware, making them more likely to be unprepared for the threat.
- 50% of security professionals do not believe their organization is prepared to repel a ransomware attack.
Ransomware prevention is far better than remediation. Ransomware victims face severe, lasting repercussions, unable to recover encrypted files, regain access to compromised systems and build back lost client trust. Luckily, the threat that ransomware poses to your businesses can be mitigated with proactive, multi-layered email security defenses and secure behavior online.
Want more insight into the ransomware risk your company faces? Want to better understand how you can protect against ransomware? Take a free 2-minute assessment survey to learn the magnitude of your email risk and get expert advice on how to reduce it. Assess My Email Risk Now>
Must Read Blog Posts
- Demystifying Phishing Attacks: How to Protect Yourself in 2023
- What You Need to Know to Shield Your Business from Ransomware
- Shortcomings of Endpoint Security in Securing Business Email
- Microsoft 365 Email Security Limitations You Should Know in 2023
- Complete Guide to Email Viruses & Best Practices to Avoid Infections in 2023
- How Phishing Emails Bypass Microsoft 365 Default Security
Latest Blog Articles
- What To Prioritize In Ransomware Protection
- Cybersecurity Mistakes That Could Cost You Your Job
- Top Microsoft 365 Security Concerns & How To Overcome Them
- Why Cybercrime Continues to Thrive, And What You Can Do About It
- Top Malware Strains and How to Mitigate Them
- What is the Difference Between SIEM and SOAR?
- SPF, DKIM & DMARC: What Are They & How Do They Secure Email Against Sender Fraud?
- Assessing the ROI of Your Email Security Solution
- What is a Brute-Force Attack?
- How Guardian Digital Stops Impersonation Attacks