Security Expert Dave Wreski Discusses Guardian Digital’s Use of Open Source for Email Security
- by Brittany Day
LinuxSecurity.com editors have a seat with Dave Wreski, CEO of Guardian Digital, Inc. and respected author of various hardened security and Linux publications including the revolutionary Linux Security HOWTO, to talk about Guardian Digital’s unique open-source approach to securing business email.
LinuxSecurity: Your company, Guardian Digital, has been featured on our site numerous times. You, personally, have also been so kind as to share your security expertise with our readers. Can you explain a bit about your company and the offerings you provide?
Dave Wreski: Guardian Digital is dedicated to providing enterprise and small business customers with inherently secure business email security solutions. Our solution, EnGarde Cloud Email Security, features embedded security at every level of design, providing the bulletproof security corporations need without sacrificing the functionality they desire.
LS: I notice that you have chosen open-source software and technology as the basis of your system. Can you tell us why?
DW: We are strong believers in the open source development model and are proud to be active members of the open source community. The innate benefits of the open source method form the foundation of EnGarde. Open-source software is transparent, and does not rely on obscuring source code as a security measure. Our developers, in collaboration with the thousands of open source developers throughout the world, identify and patch vulnerabilities much quicker than closed source counterparts and, as a result, we are able to consistently ensure infallible protection against phishing, ransomware and other malicious threats that characterize the modern email threat landscape. In addition, the availability of source code allows us to customize our solution to fit the individual needs of our customers, providing the utmost reliability and security.
LS: In this age of zero-day attacks, how is EnGarde’s protection able to stay ahead of the latest threat to safeguard users and key business assets?
DW: Because of our unique open-source approach to securing business email, we are able to tap into worldwide Threat Intelligence and update our protection in real-time - unlike any other vendor cab. In an open-source model applied to the development of email security solutions, emails gathered from millions of systems from around the world are used to identify patterns and perform large-scale tests on filters and frameworks that have been developed to block malicious email. Results are then distributed back to the community, where the insight gathered is incorporated into millions of systems worldwide. The Open-Source Intelligence (OSINT) gathered in this process results in real-time updates, ensuring that new phishing campaigns and zero-day vulnerabilities discovered in one part of the world are addressed and contained quickly before they have a chance to spread.
LS: What, in your opinion, distinguishes EnGarde from other email security solutions available to businesses?
DW: There are several areas that I believe set us apart from anyone else in the market. Our concentration on integrating innovative open-source technology, expert and engineering and simplified maintenance into our solution is an enormous differentiator for us. I believe strongly that EnGarde is, quite simply, the most secure business email security solution available today. EnGarde’s proactive multi-layered design draws on resources and intelligence from the vibrant global open-source community, providing real-time updates to protect organizations against phishing, zero-day attacks and other emerging threats discovered around the world. The comprehensive security platform is fully supported by the expert ongoing system monitoring and maintenance required to keep businesses secure in this heightened digital threat environment.
LS: What does the future hold for Guardian Digital?
DW: The future is very bright. We are consistently working with our customers and the open source community to continue to develop the most technologically advanced and effective email security solutions to protect corporate networks and systems from the ever-evolving barrage of email-borne attacks they face. This year, we have invested heavily in a new EnGarde Cloud Email Security Dashboard administrative portal, which provides our clients with increased visibility into the security of their email and the threats targeting their organization, equipping them with the real-time cybersecurity business insights needed to improve planning, decision making, and policy enforcement.
LS: Dave, thank you so much for your time. We wish you and your company the best of luck!
For more information, please visit GuardianDigital.com.
- Thinking Strategically about Email Security in 2021 and Beyond
- Behind the Shield: EnGarde Cloud Email Security Explained
- Open Source: A Powerful, Yet Underutilized Weapon against Phishing & Zero-Day Attacks
- Buyer's Guide: What to Prioritize in an Email Security Solution
- Buyer's Guide to Office 365 & Workspace Email Security
- EnGarde Cloud Email Security: The Logical Solution to Cyber Risk in Office 365
- Exchange Servers Are Vulnerable - Learn How To Secure Your Email Server Now
- Top Email Security Risks in 2021 - How To Set Your Business Up for Safety & Success
- Ransomware By The Numbers: How Big Is My Risk?
- SMB Ransomware Warnings & How To Prevent an Attack
- Apache SpamAssassin 3.4.6 Release Fixes Two Potentially Aggravating Bugs
- Top Tips and Advice for Staying Safe Online in a Work-from-Home World
- Demystifying Phishing Attacks: How to Protect Yourself Now
- Why Your Business Needs Better Email Security
- Why Ransomware is a Threat to Business
- How to Protect Sensitive Data & Maintain Client Trust in Financial Services Industry
- Why Office 365 Users Are Moving Away from Relying on Default Email Protection Alone
- What You Need to Know to Shield Your Business from Ransomware
- Why You Need DMARC to Secure Email against Spoofing Attacks & Sender Fraud
- Biden's Cybersecurity Efforts Highlight the Power of this Key Technology
- Shortcomings of Endpoint Security in Securing Business Email
- Open Source Utilization in Email Security Demystified
- Limitations of Microsoft 365 Email Security & How To Close These Dangerous Gaps
- Think Like A Criminal: What You Need to Know About Social Engineering Attacks in 2021
- Complete Guide to Email Viruses & Best Practices to Avoid Infections
- Security Expert Dave Wreski Discusses Guardian Digital’s Use of Open Source for Email Security
- Are Employees the Weakest Link in Your Email Security Strategy?
- Top Email Security Trends Putting Your Business at Risk of Attack in 2021
- There’s a Lot to be Gained with Effective Email Security
- You’ve Got Mail: How To Tell If It’s Fraud
- How To Keep Email Private with TLS
- DMARC Quarantine vs. Reject: Which Should You Implement to Secure Business Email against Sender Fraud?
- Encryption: An Essential Yet Highly Controversial Component of Digital Security
- Business Email Security Redefined: Key Benefits of Securing Your Business Email with Guardian Digital
- 8 Business Email Security Best Practices
- Demystifying Email Encryption: Stop Sender Fraud
- Demystifying Tax Fraud: How to Avoid Falling Victim to Deceptive, Costly Scams This Tax Season
- Coronavirus Phishing Scams are On the Rise - Is Your Business Email at Risk of Infection?
- Dave Wreski: A Passionate Engineer Brings the Power of Open Source to Business Email Security
- FBI: Existing Cloud Email Protection Inadequate Against Phishing, Ransomware
- Email Risk is Universal: Securing Business Email in Every Industry Sector
- The Remote Worker's Guide to Safely Navigating Office 365
- Why Your Business Needs Superior Email Protection
- Defending Against COVID Email Spoofing Attacks with DMARC
- Open-Source Security Is Opening Eyes
- Think Like A Criminal: How To Write A Phishing Email
- The Four Biggest Email Threats Your Business Faces Today
- Everything On DocuSign Phishing Attacks in 3 Minutes
- Understanding Payload-Less Email Attacks in Under 3 Minutes
- Demystifying Fileless Malware in Less than 3 Minutes
- Apache SpamAssassin Leads A Growing List of Open-Source Projects Taking Steps to Correct Instances of Racism and White Privilege
- Cyber Risk Is Greater than Ever in the Legal Industry
- Understanding Malicious URL Protection - And Why You Need It to Secure Your Email
- Email Security for SMBs Beyond COVID-19
- Email Risk Is BIG for SMBs - How To Protect Your Business Now
- Why Email Security Is More Important Than Ever in This 'New Reality'
- The Threat of CEO Fraud Extends Beyond the C-Suite
- Managed Services: A Key Element of Effective Email Security that Even Modern Solutions Lack
- How to maintain security when employees work remotely: Advice from Leading Security Experts
- FBI: The 2020 Presidential Election Is Under Attack by Email Scammers
- AT&T Security Researchers Identify a Correlation between Strong Cybersecurity and Business Success
- The Aftermath of a Cyberattack Pt. 1: Phishing Recovery Basics
- It Pays to be Prepared! Ransomware Preparedness & Recovery Basics
- Breaking Down Fileless Malware: Anatomy of an Attack
- Keep the Holidays Merry & Bright - Beware of These Sneaky Seasonal Phishing Scams
- Migrating Business Email: The Hidden Complexities You Need To Know
- SPF, DKIM & DMARC: Definition & How They Secure Email Against Sender Fraud?
- Your Current Approach to Email Security May Not Be Enough
- Ways to Prevent Email Account being compromised in a Breach
- Celebrating 20 Years of Revolutionizing Digital Security
- IBM Closes its $34 Billion Acquisition of Red Hat
- Interview with Security Expert and Author Ira Winkler
- What is Phishing Email? How to prevent Phishing email scams?
- Ways Our Business Email Exceed Your Expectations
- Spear Phishing Protection - Definition & How To Recognize Spear Phishing Email
- What is Whaling (Whaling Phishing)? & How to Prevent Whaling attacks?
- Business Email Compromise (BEC) - Definition & Prevention From BEC Attacks
- Wire Transfer Scams Involving Real Estate Transactions: How to Prevent Fraud with Effective Email Security
- Guardian Digital and Mautic: A Dynamic Open-Source Duo
- Email Malware - How to Recognize & Prevent Malware Email Attack
- An Open-Source Success Story: Apache SpamAssassin Celebrates 18 Years of Effectively Combating Spam Email
- What is Spam Email - Types & How to Prevent Spam Emails?
- 2020: A New Decade of Digital Threats - Is Your Business Email Secure?
- Linux: An OS Capable of Effectively Meeting the US Government’s Security Needs Heading into 2020
- Complete Guide on Email Security & Threats Faced by Organizations
- What Are Zero-Day Attacks & How Can I Prevent Them?
- Guardian Digital Keeps its Customers Protected from Intel Design Flaw
- Security Spotlight: Open Source Email Security Solutions
- Top Six Advantages of Open Source Development/Products
- Python and Bash - Contenders for the most used scripting language
- Guardian Digital Outlines Top 4 Benefits of Choosing Cloud
- Unrivaled Protection Against Today’s Most Dangerous Threats
- Guard Your Email Accounts Against Today’s Most Dangerous Threats
- Security Highlights from Defcon 26
- Linux / Open Source FAQs: Common Myths / Misconceptions
- Email Security FAQs Answered by Guardian Digital
- Guardian Digital Mail Systems: Designed to be Secure Without Fail