Security Spotlight: Open Source Email Security Solutions
- by Brittany Day
In this interview, Dave Wreski discusses Guardian Digital's highly effective email security solutions and the myriad advantages of investing in these solutions to secure your email.
Security Spotlight: Effective Open Source Email Security Solutions You Can Count On
Interview with Dave Wreski, Founder and CEO of Guardian Digital
Interviewed by Brittany Day
Dave Wreski is the CEO and founder of Guardian Digital, a company that provides open source email security solutions to the many email-related threats that impact individuals and businesses. Mr. Wreski started Guardian Digital as an Internet security enterprise offering open source solutions to critical business problems in 1999. Since then, the company has narrowed its focus to email security specifically. The products that Guardian Digital offers are highly effective in preventing phishing attacks, spam and malware. Dave Wreski is an expert in the field of email security, as well as an open source advocate and active member of the Linux community. In this interview he shares his knowledge of email security, email-related threats and the solutions to these threats that Guardian Digital provides.
Brittany Day: Guardian Digital's email security solutions are unique in that they utilize open source development and open source software. In your opinion, what advantages does open source email security provide over alternative proprietary email security solutions?
Dave Wreski: There are multitudes of inherent advantages of open source development and open source software that we take advantage of in order to provide our customers with the very best email security solutions. Compared to proprietary methods, open source development often results in superior products because many developers are able to collaborate and improve upon ideas, leading to high levels of innovation in engineering. We believe open source software is more secure over its lifecycle because of the transparency and accessibility that are characteristic of open source. Vulnerabilities in open source products are generally detected and fixed more rapidly than the proprietary alternatives. The specific open source programs we have chosen to use for our email security solutions have a long history of being highly secure and any vulnerabilities that existed have been identified through peer review and fixed. Finally, open source products are standards based, making them freely accessible to everyone, unlike many proprietary alternatives.
BD: In your opinion, what are the shortcomings or downfalls of many email security solutions on the market today? In what ways is the email security that Guardian Digital provides superior?
DW: Guardian Digital’s email security solutions offer many advantages over the solutions that our competitors offer. We utilize a purpose-built operating system that is designed to be extremely secure. We adhere to the latest standards in email security, which include implementing the highest level of encryption to protect information from unauthorized parties.
Guardian Digital also provides the highest level of security for all of the email security solutions we offer, unlike many companies which require that customers pay more for higher levels of security.
BD: Can you talk a little bit about how being an active member of the Linux community has influenced your views on email security? How has Linux impacted Guardian Digital as an enterprise?
DW:We are very passionate about Linux and open source and have used it as the foundation of everything we do since our inception in 1999. It is an extremely reliable operating system with customizable software. As a result, we have always been an active member of the Linux community and give back as much as we can. One way we have done this is by sponsoring the development of LinuxSecurity.com, a website that Linux users can visit for the latest security-related and open source news.
BD: What do you feel are the biggest email-related threats that exist today? What do you recommend that companies do to protect themselves from these threats? How do the services that Guardian Digital offers protect organizations from current email-related threats?
DW: Phishing is one of the most dangerous email-related threats because of the financial damage that can result from these types of scams. Phishing attacks have become highly targeted and sophisticated, making them very difficult to detect. Spam is another significant problem because it has become so prevalent and because of the negative impact it has on all email users. Spam is difficult to detect and block and decreases worker productivity. It is also a serious problem because spam emails can convince people to share personal information or transfer money to criminals. Using a comprehensive, state of the art email security solution like the ones that Guardian Digital provides is the most effective method of protection from any email-related threat.
BD: Guardian Digital's email security solutions are cloud-based. Can you discuss the various advantages of cloud services in regards to email security?
DW: Our open source cloud-based email security offers our customers various advantages. First, the server is built to be highly secure, adding yet another element of security to our solutions. Emails must pass through an additional filter before they reach end users.
We are able to store spam in the cloud, where we either eliminate it or quarantine it. We have developed highly secure cloud-based solutions to protect email accounts so that companies and individuals can focus on other aspects of business and life.
BD: Guardian Digital prioritizes top-notch customer service. In what ways is outstanding customer service a critical aspect of an effective email security solution?
DW: Offering our customers outstanding support and services is and always has been a priority for us. In many ways, the quality of the services we offer is just as important as the email security products we provide. Being an open source email security company, we view the unrivaled service we offer our customers as the unique value that sets us apart from other enterprises. We realize email is a critical business function, and have designed our services to ensure we’re there to help every step of the way with ensuring your email is always secure.
Guardian Digital is the first of its kind to take the best-of-breed tools in the Linux community and integrate them into enterprise email solutions with an intense focus on security and unrivaled customer support, designed to ease information technology overhead for its customers.
It is this pioneering role we have played in engineering an unprecedented level of Open Source security that has made Guardian Digital trusted by so many clients worldwide for almost twenty years.
We don't just use existing programs, but have also developed a whole infrastructure of services around them. We are continually at the forefront of the security field to ensure that our engineers preserve our leading edge products and services as threats continue to evolve.
About the Author:
Brittany Day is the social media manager and writer for Guardian Digital. Passionate about open source and security, Brittany enjoys working in a fast-paced business environment that challenges her creativity and her desire to communicate new secure email strategies and services to our customers.
Brittany is also heavily involved with reporting and analytics to assist with getting our customers more involved and creating a better understanding of the increasing value we provide to our users.
Brittany grew up in New Jersey and is a graduate of the University of Oregon.
- Thinking Strategically about Email Security in 2021 and Beyond
- There’s a Lot to be Gained with Effective Email Security
- Behind the Shield: EnGarde Cloud Email Security Explained
- Open Source: A Powerful, Yet Underutilized Weapon against Phishing & Zero-Day Attacks
- Buyer's Guide: What to Prioritize in an Email Security Solution
- Buyer's Guide to Office 365 & Workspace Email Security
- EnGarde Cloud Email Security: The Logical Solution to Cyber Risk in Office 365
- Exchange Servers Are Vulnerable - Learn How To Secure Your Email Server Now
- Top Email Security Risks in 2021 - How To Set Your Business Up for Safety & Success
- Ransomware By The Numbers: How Big Is My Risk?
- SMB Ransomware Warnings & How To Prevent an Attack
- Apache SpamAssassin 3.4.6 Release Fixes Two Potentially Aggravating Bugs
- Top Tips and Advice for Staying Safe Online in a Work-from-Home World
- Effectively Securing Business Email Accounts: Are Employees the Weakest Link?
- Encryption: An Essential Yet Highly Controversial Component of Digital Security
- Business Email Security Redefined: Key Benefits of Securing Your Business Email with Guardian Digital
- 8 Business Email Security Best Practices
- Demystifying Email Encryption: Stop Sender Fraud
- Demystifying Phishing Attacks: How to Protect Yourself Now
- Demystifying Tax Fraud: How to Avoid Falling Victim to Deceptive, Costly Scams This Tax Season
- Coronavirus Phishing Scams are On the Rise - Is Your Business Email at Risk of Infection?
- Dave Wreski: A Passionate Engineer Brings the Power of Open Source to Business Email Security
- FBI: Existing Cloud Email Protection Inadequate Against Phishing, Ransomware
- Email Risk is Universal: Securing Business Email in Every Industry Sector
- The Remote Worker's Guide to Safely Navigating Office 365
- Why Your Business Needs Better Email Security
- Defending Against COVID Email Spoofing Attacks with DMARC
- You’ve Got Mail: How To Tell If It’s Fraud
- Open-Source Security Is Opening Eyes
- Think Like A Criminal: How To Write A Phishing Email
- The Four Biggest Email Threats Your Business Faces Today
- Everything On DocuSign Phishing Attacks in 3 Minutes
- Understanding Payload-Less Email Attacks in Under 3 Minutes
- Demystifying Fileless Malware in Less than 3 Minutes
- How to Protect Sensitive Data & Maintain Client Trust in Financial Services Industry
- Apache SpamAssassin Leads A Growing List of Open-Source Projects Taking Steps to Correct Instances of Racism and White Privilege
- Cyber Risk Is Greater than Ever in the Legal Industry
- Understanding Malicious URL Protection - And Why You Need It to Secure Your Email
- Email Security for SMBs Beyond COVID-19
- Email Risk Is BIG for SMBs - How To Protect Your Business Now
- The Modern Email Threat Landscape: Where Traditional Defenses Fall Short
- Why Email Security Is More Important Than Ever in This 'New Reality'
- The Threat of CEO Fraud Extends Beyond the C-Suite
- Top Email Security Trends Putting Your Business at Risk of Attack
- Think Like A Criminal: What You Need to Know About Social Engineering Attacks in 2020
- Managed Services: A Key Element of Effective Email Security that Even Modern Solutions Lack
- How to maintain security when employees work remotely: Advice from Leading Security Experts
- FBI: The 2020 Presidential Election Is Under Attack by Email Scammers
- AT&T Security Researchers Identify a Correlation between Strong Cybersecurity and Business Success
- The Aftermath of a Cyberattack Pt. 1: Phishing Recovery Basics
- It Pays to be Prepared! Ransomware Preparedness & Recovery Basics
- Breaking Down Fileless Malware: Anatomy of an Attack
- Office 365 Email Is Vulnerable to Attack Without These Critical Supplementary Defenses in Place
- Keep the Holidays Merry & Bright - Beware of These Sneaky Seasonal Phishing Scams
- Migrating Business Email: The Hidden Complexities You Need To Know
- How Do SPF, DMARC & DKIM Secure Email Against Sender Fraud?
- Your Current Approach to Email Security May Not Be Enough
- Ways to Prevent Email Account being compromised in a Breach
- Celebrating 20 Years of Revolutionizing Digital Security
- IBM Closes its $34 Billion Acquisition of Red Hat
- Interview with Security Expert and Author Ira Winkler
- What is Phishing Email? How to prevent Phishing email scams?
- Ways Our Business Email Exceed Your Expectations
- Spear Phishing Protection - Definition & How To Recognize Spear Phishing Email
- What is Whaling (Whaling Phishing)? & How to Prevent Whaling attacks?
- Ransomware Attack Explained - Best Practices For Ransomware Protection
- Business Email Compromise (BEC) - Definition & Prevention From BEC Attacks
- Wire Transfer Scams Involving Real Estate Transactions: How to Prevent Fraud with Effective Email Security
- Guardian Digital and Mautic: A Dynamic Open-Source Duo
- Email Malware - How to Recognize & Prevent Malware Email Attack
- An Open-Source Success Story: Apache SpamAssassin Celebrates 18 Years of Effectively Combating Spam Email
- What is Spam Email - Types & How to Prevent Spam Emails?
- 2020: A New Decade of Digital Threats - Is Your Business Email Secure?
- Linux: An OS Capable of Effectively Meeting the US Government’s Security Needs Heading into 2020
- Complete Guide on Email Security & Threats Faced by Organizations
- Email Virus - Complete Guide to Email Viruses Plus Best Practices
- What Are Zero-Day Attacks & How Can I Prevent Them?
- Guardian Digital Keeps its Customers Protected from Intel Design Flaw
- Security Spotlight: Open Source Email Security Solutions
- Top Six Advantages of Open Source Development/Products
- Python and Bash - Contenders for the most used scripting language
- Guardian Digital Outlines Top 4 Benefits of Choosing Cloud
- Unrivaled Protection Against Today’s Most Dangerous Threats
- Guard Your Email Accounts Against Today’s Most Dangerous Threats
- Security Highlights from Defcon 26
- Linux / Open Source FAQs: Common Myths / Misconceptions
- Email Security FAQs Answered by Guardian Digital
- Guardian Digital Mail Systems: Designed to be Secure Without Fail