Familiarize Yourself with the Phases of an Account Takeover (ATO) & Lateral Phishing Attack
Learn the anatomy of an ATO & lateral phishing attack so you can better protect yourself & your business.
Access to prominent accounts is the key to infecting multiple different accounts successfully to steal sensitive information.
ATO allows threat actors to use accounts to mimic victims’ coworkers and helps them get access to other accounts within an organization.
To help prevent business email account compromise, Guardian Digital teaches you the anatomy of an ATO and lateral phishing attack.
Watch: Anatomy of an ATO & Lateral Phishing Attack
Anatomy of an ATO & Lateral Phishing Attack
Phase 1: Credential Theft
An attacker gets legitimate login credentials via a phishing attack designed to trick a victim into sharing sensitive information.
Phase 2: Reconnaissance & Weaponization
The intruder gains insight into the compromised email account’s communications to find new victims to target.
While preparing for lateral phishing attacks, attackers exploit confidential information in the compromised account for personal gain.
Phase 3: Delivery
The attacker sends phishing emails to accounts in the target organization with malware and/or social engineering, so more users take the bait.
These attacks are effective in continuing and magnifying damage inflicted on target organizations.
Phase 4: Reap Rewards
The attacker obtains financial gains or sensitive data to be used in future malicious campaigns via exploitation of the targeted users.
How Can I Secure Business Email Against ATO & Lateral Phishing Attacks?
Our email security solution finds and intercepts ATO and lateral phishing threats, mitigates risk and provides your organization with peace of mind.
Guardian Digital EnGarde Cloud Email Security’s technology proactively learns and distributes defenses for specific threats targeting you.
Want to see EnGarde in action? Get a Live Demo>>
Phishing Is Evolving
Are Your Current Email Defenses Falling Behind?
- Avoid Phishing Emails
- Be Cautious of Spam Email
- Be Wary of Malicious URLs
- Protect Against Spoofing & Sender Fraud
- Protect the Privacy of Your Email with TLS
- Don’t Rely on Native Microsoft 365 Email Protection Alone
- Implement TLS to Keep Your Email Secure
- Endpoint Security Is Not Enough
- Conduct Regular Email Security Audits
- Configure Email Account Settings with Security in Mind
- Learn How To Spot Threats to Business Email
- Backup Your Data and Isolate Your Backups Offline
- Protect Business Email from Phishing Attacks
- Avoid Sending Sensitive Information Over Email
- Learn About Malicious Links
- Prevent Zero-Day Attacks
- Business Email Is for Business Only
- Learn How To Identify Social Engineering Attacks
- Know Your Email Risk
- Safeguard Your Inbox from Malicious Mail
- Understand How Phishing Attacks Are Carried Out
- Know the Steps in a Spear Phishing Attack
- Familiarize Yourself with the Anatomy of a Whaling Attack
- Understand How Malware Attacks Work
- Learn the Steps in a Ransomware Attack
- Understand How to Protect Your Company Against Business Email Compromise (BEC)
- Know What Zero-Day Attack Is & How It Works
- Familiarize Yourself with the Phases of an Account Takeover (ATO) & Lateral Phishing Attack
- Learn How to Recognize & Prevent Social Engineering Attacks
- Understand the Types of Email Viruses to Be on the Lookout For