Learn the Steps in a Ransomware Attack
Learn the anatomy of a ransomware attack so you can better protect yourself & your business.
Ransomware, or malware that encrypts critical files until a fee is paid, dominates security news headlines, so people think it's inevitable.
To help you understand how ransomware attacks work, let Guardian Digital teach you the anatomy of a ransomware attack.
Watch: Anatomy of a Ransomware Attack
Anatomy of a Ransomware Attack
Phase 1: Develop
Cybercriminals develop malicious software that encrypts target files until a ransom payment specified by the attacker is made.
Cybercriminals purchase ransomware on the Dark Web or use hosted ransomware services to avoid time-consuming commitments.
Phase 2: Deliver
Threat actors use phishing emails by often masquerading as a known or trusted individual or organization.
Phase 3: Demand
When opening the email’s attachment, the ransomware demands payment in untraceable Bitcoin in exchange for getting files back.
Phase 4: Collect
Many that fall victim to ransomware pay the ransom, but victims often never regain control of their systems, even once the ransom is paid.
How Can I Secure Business Email Against Ransomware Attacks?
Our email security solution finds and intercepts ransomware threats, mitigates risk and provides your organization with peace of mind.
Guardian Digital EnGarde Cloud Email Security’s technology proactively learns and distributes defenses for specific threats targeting you.
Want to see EnGarde in action? Get a Live Demo>>
- Avoid Phishing Emails
- Be Cautious of Spam Email
- Be Wary of Malicious URLs
- Protect Against Spoofing & Sender Fraud
- Protect the Privacy of Your Email with TLS
- Don’t Rely on Native Microsoft 365 Email Protection Alone
- Implement TLS to Keep Your Email Secure
- Endpoint Security Is Not Enough
- Conduct Regular Email Security Audits
- Configure Email Account Settings with Security in Mind
- Learn How To Spot Threats to Business Email
- Backup Your Data and Isolate Your Backups Offline
- Protect Business Email from Phishing Attacks
- Avoid Sending Sensitive Information Over Email
- Learn About Malicious Links
- Prevent Zero-Day Attacks
- Business Email Is for Business Only
- Learn How To Identify Social Engineering Attacks
- Know Your Email Risk
- Safeguard Your Inbox from Malicious Mail
- Understand How Phishing Attacks Are Carried Out
- Know the Steps in a Spear Phishing Attack
- Familiarize Yourself with the Anatomy of a Whaling Attack
- Understand How Malware Attacks Work
- Learn the Steps in a Ransomware Attack
- Understand the Phases of a Business Email Compromise (BEC) Attack
- Know What Zero-Day Attack Is & How It Works
- Familiarize Yourself with the Phases of an Account Takeover (ATO) & Lateral Phishing Attack
- Learn the Steps in a Social Engineering Attack
- Understand the Types of Email Viruses to Be on the Lookout For