What You Need to Know About Open-Source Software Security
- by Brittany Day
While allowing public access to the sensitive behind-the-scenes operation of a program sounds risky, open-source software actually has the potential to be even more secure than a program with hidden code. However, as with any type of software, vulnerabilities still exist and can present a serious security risk if they remain unidentified and unpatched.
The Future Is Open Source
Open-source is software with publicly accessible code that anyone can view and contribute to, and forms the foundation of the Internet we use today. The popularity of open-source code is rising–not only are more programs using open-source code but a larger portion of the average software comes from open-source resources than ever. Today, open-source code can be found in virtually every application we use online, and open-source development is the focus of many of the world’s largest companies. In order to ensure our data online is secure, we must first make sure that the technology that provides this capability is secure.
Head over to LinuxSecurity.com to learn about security risks that bugs in open-source software pose and measures that are being taken to secure open-source software against vulnerabilities and exploits.
Must Read Blog Posts
- Demystifying Phishing Attacks: How to Protect Yourself in 2023
- What You Need to Know to Shield Your Business from Ransomware
- Shortcomings of Endpoint Security in Securing Business Email
- Microsoft 365 Email Security Limitations You Should Know in 2023
- Email Virus - Complete Guide to Email Viruses & Best Practices
- How Phishing Emails Bypass Microsoft 365 Default Security
Latest Blog Articles
- How To Spot A DocuSign Scam Email
- What To Do If Your Business Email Gets Hacked
- Why Do Over 90% of Cyberattacks Begin with an Email?
- FBI: The 2020 Presidential Election Is Under Attack by Email Scammers
- Why Is Machine Learning (ML) Beneficial in Security?
- What Is a Cyberattack?
- Cyber Risk Is On the Rise: How To Ensure Preparedness
- How to Protect Sensitive Data & Maintain Client Trust in Financial Services Industry
- Revolutionizing Email Security: The Evolution of EnGarde Secure Linux to EnGarde Cloud Email Security
- Open Source Utilization in Email Security Demystified