Why Is Machine Learning (ML) Beneficial in Security?
- by Brittany Day
Machine Learning algorithms are powerful tools that can identify patterns and make predictions based on what they have learned from large amounts of data. It's incredible how they can be used for image and speech recognition and natural language processing, among other purposes.
Machine Learning Methods
ML technology is quickly becoming popular because of its unmatched ability to automate and improve decision-making processes across various industries. Machine learning techniques have benefited sectors like finance, healthcare, and marketing. With many methods available, each with unique techniques and purposes, this technology's potential for growth and innovation is limitless.
- Supervised Machine Learning: This widely used machine learning approach involves analyzing input data and output labels to make predictions. By detecting patterns in the data, the model can apply this knowledge to make accurate predictions on new data without labels. This method has been successful in industries like healthcare, finance, and marketing, and its possibilities for innovation and progress are endless.
- Unsupervised Machine Learning: This is a distinct approach in machine learning that operates without the need for output labels to spot trends in data. Instead, it can be used to cluster similar data points or make inferences about the underlying structure of the data. This technique has distinct advantages and can find use in various industries, just like supervised learning.
- Semi-Supervised Machine Learning: This technique combines labeled and unlabeled data to identify patterns. It’s particularly useful when getting labeled data is difficult or expensive because it makes the most of the already available data, creating an effective forecasting method.
How Is Machine Learning Used to Improve Security?
Ensuring the safety of your business against cybersecurity threats is now more critical than ever. A reliable method to achieve this is by implementing Machine Learning algorithms for scrutinizing data and identifying possible threats. This way, you can proactively counteract complex attacks and reduce potential harm.ML algorithms analyze data at a scale and speed that human IT workers cannot match, allowing organizations to take proactive measures to prevent attacks and minimize damage. Semi-supervised machine learning can also be highly beneficial when obtaining labeled data is challenging or costly, optimizing the available data to make accurate forecasts.
Detect Threats on a Network
The ML algorithm is trained on a large dataset of regular network traffic and learns to identify deviations from that normal behavior, which may indicate a potential threat. Once the algorithm detects a potential threat, it can alert security analysts or take automated actions to mitigate it.
Protect Users When Browsing
Securing your business from cybersecurity threats is crucial as a business owner. Using algorithms to detect suspicious activity on your network can significantly improve your security protocols. By analyzing content such as emails or websites, these algorithms can compare them to known phishing patterns. This proactive measure helps identify and prevent malicious websites or ads, reducing the risk of your employees downloading malware or falling for scams.
Provide Endpoint Malware Protection
When a program is trained on a large dataset of known malware samples, it then learns to identify new malware based on similar behavior. Once the algorithm detects a potential threat, it can take automated actions to prevent the malware from executing or alert security analysts for further investigation.
Secure Data in the Cloud
Algorithms can detect unauthorized access attempts by analyzing login attempts and identifying abnormalities in user behavior. They can also monitor data access and usage patterns, identifying potential breaches or insider threats.
Detect Malware in Encrypted Traffic
ML programs can identify abnormalities in network traffic, such as unexpected data volumes or unusual data transfer patterns, that may indicate the presence of malware. By analyzing encrypted traffic in real-time, machine learning can help organizations detect and prevent malware infections before they can cause damage.
Secure Business Email With Guardian Digital Machine Learning-Based Protection
Guardian Digital recognizes that safeguarding the inbox requires comprehensive Machine Learning-based email security defenses. We provide the caliber of protection needed to secure against targeted spear phishing attacks, ransomware, insider threats, and other types of cyberattacks via our EnGarde Cloud Email Security solution. EnGarde features defense-in-depth, Machine Learning-based protection to anticipate and block the most advanced threats in real-time.
- Rapid Return on Investment (ROI): By preventing security breaches, minimizing downtime, increasing productivity, and safeguarding your operations, businesses can expect a positive impact on their bottom line.
- Superior protection through an inherently secure design: By applying the collaborative, transparent, open-source development model to email security, businesses receive enhanced threat protection, increased trust in the information they receive, real-time updates, and more secure, resilient technology.
- Extended IT resources: The ongoing system monitoring, maintenance, and support that Guardian Digital provides reduces the strain on businesses’ overworked IT departments, enabling them to focus more productively on tasks unrelated to email security. These fully-managed services provide the around-the-clock email vigilance required for the early detection and elimination of threats.
- Better Planning & Policy Enforcement: Complete visibility into your email security and the threats targeting your organization via the EnGarde Cloud Email Security Dashboard reduces risk exposure and enables improved cybersecurity business planning and better enforcement of company policies.
- Enhanced Microsoft 365 Email Security: EnGarde’s supplementary defenses bolster inadequate built-in cloud email protection to fortify Microsoft 365 email against credential phishing and account takeovers.
Keep Learning About the Benefits of Machine Learning in Security
As technology evolves rapidly, Machine Learning has become an indispensable tool across various industries. By detecting patterns and anomalies and providing valuable predictions and recommendations, Machine Learning has incredible potential to transform how we work, live, and interact with technology. As a business owner, it's imperative to remain up-to-date with these advancements and leverage algorithms to identify suspicious activity on your network. This proactive approach is critical to ensure the safety of your business against cyber threats and to minimize the risk of your employees falling victim to scams or downloading malware.
It's fascinating how machine learning has advanced and become such a valuable tool in many industries, and its impact on various industries cannot be overstated. Although there are challenges, such as bias and the requirement for proficient experts, the benefits of efficiency, accuracy, and security make it a valuable investment. As more organizations adopt this technology, Machine Learning will undoubtedly advance.
- Learn what to prioritize in an AI-powered email security solution.
- Learn how to recognize and protect against phishing attacks.
- Learn why over 90% of modern cyberattacks begin with a phishing email and how to safeguard your users and critical assets.
- Learn how to improve your email security posture to defend against attacks and breaches by engaging in best practices.
- Get the latest updates on how to stay safe online.
In this article...
Must Read Blog Posts
- Demystifying Phishing Attacks: How to Protect Yourself In 2024
- What You Need to Know to Shield Your Business from Ransomware
- Shortcomings of Endpoint Security in Securing Business Email
- Microsoft 365 Email Security Limitations You Should Know
- Complete Guide to Email Viruses
- How Phishing Emails Bypass Microsoft 365 Default Security
Latest Blog Articles
- Understanding Spyware: Types, Risks, and its Effects on Devices
- Strategies for Safeguarding Online Privacy & Protecting Customer Data
- Trends for 2024: Mobile is the New Target
- Investing in Email Security: Reaping the Benefits & Navigating the Challenges
- How Can Information Assurance Help Secure Sensitive Data?
- The Cloud and Data Loss: How to Protect Your Organization's Critical Data
- Identity Verification in a Data Privacy-Conscious World: The Future of Digital Security
- A Student’s Perspective on Phishing Scams in Universities
- Integrating Best IAC Security Practices into Your Pipeline
- Are Employees the Weakest Link in Your Email Security Strategy?