What is Phishing Email? How to prevent Phishing email scams?
- by Brittany Day
Most people are somewhat familiar with prevalent and dangerous email threats like phishing and malware; however, the methods utilized in these attack variations and the most effective way to combat these threats can be complex and confusing. Guardian Digital wants to educate businesses about common and costly email attacks, helping them navigate the complicated threat landscape with the latest information and the email security language they need to know to keep their users secure.
To accomplish this, we are beginning our first ever Guardian Digital blog series: Email Threats Explained. The purpose of this series is to provide readers with the knowledge that is necessary to make informed decisions regarding the security of their business email accounts. We are going to begin by covering one of the most notorious email threats: phishing. This week I will introduce the threat, explain why it is such a serious problem for all businesses, and suggest best practices that organizations should implement to mitigate risk. Over the next few weeks, I will dive deeper into this topic, focusing on highly targeted and complex attack schemes like spear phishing and whaling.
What is phishing email attack?
Phishing email is an attack variation in which cyber criminals send malicious emails designed to trick users into falling for a scam. The motive behind a email phishing campaign is usually to get people to reveal financial information, credentials or other sensitive data. Phishing scams often utilize social engineering tactics: a collection of techniques that criminals use to manipulate psychology. These tactics encourage individuals to act without stopping and thinking things through. Phishing email definition as per wikipedia is: Phishing is the fraudulent attempt to obtain sensitive information such as usernames, passwords and credit card details by disguising oneself as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication.
What is the most significant danger of phishing email?
Phishing is extremely prevalent because it is cheap, easy and effective. For these reasons, phishing is currently the most commonly used attack vector on organizations, leading to 53% of all cyber security breaches. Phishing campaigns are virtually free to carry out, but can be extremely costly to their victims. Those who fall for phishing scams may end up with data loss, identity theft or malware infections. These implications can cost businesses large sums of money and ruin reputations.
How to prevent Phishing email?
User education can help reduce the likelihood of a successful phishing attack; however, user behavior is not predictable. Thus, a threat-ready business cloud email security is imperative in protecting against phishing. Guardian Digital CEO Dave Wreski states, “Engaging in email security best practices is important, but this alone will not prevent a successful phishing attack. To effectively safeguard business email accounts, a fully integrated email security solution that delivers total end-to-end control is critical. EnGarde Cloud Email Security provides real-time protection against phishing and other advanced email threats while continuously adapting to a changing business and security environment.”
In addition to investing in a comprehensive cloud email security, being familiar with common characteristics that phishing emails often share can help reduce your chances of taking the bait. Some best practices for identifying phishing emails include:
- Verify shared links to ensure that they do not lead to fraudulent websites or malicious code.
- Scan all attachments for viruses or dangerous code.
- If an email looks suspicious in any way, make a phone call to the sender to confirm the legitimacy of the email.
- Check for spelling and grammatical errors which can indicate that an email is not authentic. Also, keep an eye out for suspicious subject lines and signatures.
- Think about each email you receive before clicking on links or downloading attachments. For example, ask yourself: Does an order confirmation email you’ve received correspond to a recent purchase you have made? Do the sender and recipient addresses make sense?
Other tips for preventing successful phishing email scams:
- Invest in security awareness training to educate employees on how to identify spear phishing emails and how to proceed if they feel that they have received a malicious email.
- Only click on embedded links that you know are legitimate and safe.
- Create strong, complex passwords.
- If you receive an email from a source you know but it seems suspicious, contact that source with a new email, rather than just hitting reply.
Guardian Digital EnGarde Cloud Email Security Key Benefits:
- Mitigates the risk associated with spear phishing and other advanced email threats
- End-to-end email encryption and secure delivery
- Protects employees against social engineering and impersonation attacks
- Neutralizes threats associated with malicious attachments and links
- Authenticates every email delivered using DMARC, DKIM and SPF
- State-of-the-art heuristic technologies recognize malicious code and accurately identify and block highly targeted spear phishing attempts
- Multi-layered open-source architecture
- Fully-managed solution that can be seamlessly implemented into your business’s existing infrastructure
- Exceptional 24/7/365 customer support
Read the next blog post in this series: Email Threats Explained: What is Spear Phishing?
- Thinking Strategically about Email Security in 2021 and Beyond
- There’s a Lot to be Gained with Effective Email Security
- Behind the Shield: EnGarde Cloud Email Security Explained
- Open Source: A Powerful, Yet Underutilized Weapon against Phishing & Zero-Day Attacks
- Buyer's Guide: What to Prioritize in an Email Security Solution
- Buyer's Guide to Office 365 & Workspace Email Security
- EnGarde Cloud Email Security: The Logical Solution to Cyber Risk in Office 365
- Exchange Servers Are Vulnerable - Learn How To Secure Your Email Server Now
- Top Email Security Risks in 2021 - How To Set Your Business Up for Safety & Success
- Ransomware By The Numbers: How Big Is My Risk?
- SMB Ransomware Warnings & How To Prevent an Attack
- Apache SpamAssassin 3.4.6 Release Fixes Two Potentially Aggravating Bugs
- Top Tips and Advice for Staying Safe Online in a Work-from-Home World
- Effectively Securing Business Email Accounts: Are Employees the Weakest Link?
- Encryption: An Essential Yet Highly Controversial Component of Digital Security
- Business Email Security Redefined: Key Benefits of Securing Your Business Email with Guardian Digital
- 8 Business Email Security Best Practices
- Demystifying Email Encryption: Stop Sender Fraud
- Demystifying Phishing Attacks: How to Protect Yourself Now
- Demystifying Tax Fraud: How to Avoid Falling Victim to Deceptive, Costly Scams This Tax Season
- Coronavirus Phishing Scams are On the Rise - Is Your Business Email at Risk of Infection?
- Dave Wreski: A Passionate Engineer Brings the Power of Open Source to Business Email Security
- FBI: Existing Cloud Email Protection Inadequate Against Phishing, Ransomware
- Email Risk is Universal: Securing Business Email in Every Industry Sector
- The Remote Worker's Guide to Safely Navigating Office 365
- Why Your Business Needs Better Email Security
- Defending Against COVID Email Spoofing Attacks with DMARC
- You’ve Got Mail: How To Tell If It’s Fraud
- Open-Source Security Is Opening Eyes
- Think Like A Criminal: How To Write A Phishing Email
- The Four Biggest Email Threats Your Business Faces Today
- Everything On DocuSign Phishing Attacks in 3 Minutes
- Understanding Payload-Less Email Attacks in Under 3 Minutes
- Demystifying Fileless Malware in Less than 3 Minutes
- How to Protect Sensitive Data & Maintain Client Trust in Financial Services Industry
- Apache SpamAssassin Leads A Growing List of Open-Source Projects Taking Steps to Correct Instances of Racism and White Privilege
- Cyber Risk Is Greater than Ever in the Legal Industry
- Understanding Malicious URL Protection - And Why You Need It to Secure Your Email
- Email Security for SMBs Beyond COVID-19
- Email Risk Is BIG for SMBs - How To Protect Your Business Now
- The Modern Email Threat Landscape: Where Traditional Defenses Fall Short
- Why Email Security Is More Important Than Ever in This 'New Reality'
- The Threat of CEO Fraud Extends Beyond the C-Suite
- Top Email Security Trends Putting Your Business at Risk of Attack
- Think Like A Criminal: What You Need to Know About Social Engineering Attacks in 2020
- Managed Services: A Key Element of Effective Email Security that Even Modern Solutions Lack
- How to maintain security when employees work remotely: Advice from Leading Security Experts
- FBI: The 2020 Presidential Election Is Under Attack by Email Scammers
- AT&T Security Researchers Identify a Correlation between Strong Cybersecurity and Business Success
- The Aftermath of a Cyberattack Pt. 1: Phishing Recovery Basics
- It Pays to be Prepared! Ransomware Preparedness & Recovery Basics
- Breaking Down Fileless Malware: Anatomy of an Attack
- Office 365 Email Is Vulnerable to Attack Without These Critical Supplementary Defenses in Place
- Keep the Holidays Merry & Bright - Beware of These Sneaky Seasonal Phishing Scams
- Migrating Business Email: The Hidden Complexities You Need To Know
- How Do SPF, DMARC & DKIM Secure Email Against Sender Fraud?
- Your Current Approach to Email Security May Not Be Enough
- Ways to Prevent Email Account being compromised in a Breach
- Celebrating 20 Years of Revolutionizing Digital Security
- IBM Closes its $34 Billion Acquisition of Red Hat
- Interview with Security Expert and Author Ira Winkler
- What is Phishing Email? How to prevent Phishing email scams?
- Ways Our Business Email Exceed Your Expectations
- Spear Phishing Protection - Definition & How To Recognize Spear Phishing Email
- What is Whaling (Whaling Phishing)? & How to Prevent Whaling attacks?
- Ransomware Attack Explained - Best Practices For Ransomware Protection
- Business Email Compromise (BEC) - Definition & Prevention From BEC Attacks
- Wire Transfer Scams Involving Real Estate Transactions: How to Prevent Fraud with Effective Email Security
- Guardian Digital and Mautic: A Dynamic Open-Source Duo
- Email Malware - How to Recognize & Prevent Malware Email Attack
- An Open-Source Success Story: Apache SpamAssassin Celebrates 18 Years of Effectively Combating Spam Email
- What is Spam Email - Types & How to Prevent Spam Emails?
- 2020: A New Decade of Digital Threats - Is Your Business Email Secure?
- Linux: An OS Capable of Effectively Meeting the US Government’s Security Needs Heading into 2020
- Complete Guide on Email Security & Threats Faced by Organizations
- Email Virus - Complete Guide to Email Viruses Plus Best Practices
- What Are Zero-Day Attacks & How Can I Prevent Them?
- Guardian Digital Keeps its Customers Protected from Intel Design Flaw
- Security Spotlight: Open Source Email Security Solutions
- Top Six Advantages of Open Source Development/Products
- Python and Bash - Contenders for the most used scripting language
- Guardian Digital Outlines Top 4 Benefits of Choosing Cloud
- Unrivaled Protection Against Today’s Most Dangerous Threats
- Guard Your Email Accounts Against Today’s Most Dangerous Threats
- Security Highlights from Defcon 26
- Linux / Open Source FAQs: Common Myths / Misconceptions
- Email Security FAQs Answered by Guardian Digital
- Guardian Digital Mail Systems: Designed to be Secure Without Fail