There’s a Lot to be Gained with Effective Email Security
- by Brittany Day
Regardless of the size of your company or the industry that it services, you rely heavily on email for business in 2021 - and can reap tremendous benefits by investing in your email security strategy.
This article will explore what you stand to gain by prioritizing email security - namely, improved brand image, stronger client loyalty, lower operational costs, superior productivity and promotion of your brand among potential job candidates. Then, we’ll direct you to a free, interactive tool that will unlock the magnitude of your company’s email risk, and provide expert advice on how you can reduce it with quality security defenses. But first, let’s briefly examine the modern email threat landscape and the risks associated with a weak email security strategy.
A Quick Look at the Modern Email Threat Landscape
Email risk is greater than ever in this new remote work environment. Almost a year into this unprecedented pandemic, businesses are scrambling to modernize their infrastructure, and many companies have migrated to popular cloud platforms like Microsoft Office 365 and Google Workspace to fulfill remote workers’ communication needs. Cyber thieves are exploiting businesses’ increased reliance on cloud email and the inherent vulnerability of cloud platforms without additional security defenses to target users with sophisticated attacks designed to compromise systems and steal sensitive data that can be used to initiate fraudulent wire transfers.
There has been a 600% rise in phishing attacks due to COVID-19, and users are now three times more likely to click on a malicious link embedded in a phishing email and disclose their account credentials than they were pre-COVID. Even after we emerge from this crisis, this heightened digital threat environment will persist, as cyber criminals now have mechanisms in place to exploit the latest trends, and techniques such as spear phishing and fileless malware that enable them to evade the detection of traditional security defenses.
The Dangers of an Ineffective Email Security Strategy are Great
Now more than ever, businesses cannot afford a subpar email security strategy - both literally and figuratively. Companies could once get away with a somewhat weak email security posture, but those days have come to an end, as cyberattacks are rapidly evolving, becoming more sophisticated, targeted and evasive by the day. Although phishing has dominated the digital threat landscape for decades, it is still the predominant digital threat businesses face, accounting for over 90% of all cyberattacks on corporate networks. A cyberattack or breach can have severe, lasting consequences for any business in any industry, including:
- Data theft
- Financial loss
- Serious reputational harm
- Recovery costs
- Negative impact on employee morale
- Significant, costly downtime or worse - permanent closure
It is no secret that 2020 was a tumultuous year for most businesses - and security has suffered as a result, leaving companies of any size at heightened risk of suffering the devastating repercussions listed above. Ponemon Institute reports that now only 44% of businesses feel they are effectively positioned against cyberattacks - down from 71% in the beginning of 2020. Regardless of the challenges your company is facing, it is crucial to keep in mind that taking preventative email defense measures is a far more reasonable approach than dealing with the consequences of a successful cyberattack or a data breach.
Email Security: An Investment that Continues to Pay Off
Not only will investing in email security help mitigate the digital risk your company faces, it could also play a significant role in your business’s success by improving your brand image, decreasing operational costs, optimizing productivity and solidifying client loyalty.
AT&T Cybersecurity researchers have identified a “relationship between business success and a commitment to strong security”, citing that 91% of companies that lag in cybersecurity miss revenue goals, while 57% of companies that lead in this area exceed revenue goals by over seven percent. By bolstering its email security defenses, your company can reap the following benefits:
Improvement in Brand Image & Stronger Client Loyalty
Openly communicating your company’s email security practices and strategy for protecting against outsider threats contributes to a strong corporate reputation. Current and prospective clients and partners respect and have confidence in organizations that prioritize security and demonstrate that they are capable of protecting sensitive client data. In the event of a breach, implementing a solid crisis communications plan will protect your reputation and maintain client loyalty. Ultimately, clients remain loyal to companies they are confident in.
Enhanced Productivity & Decreased Operational Costs
Effective risk mitigation reduces or eliminates potential downtime and disruptions due to security incidents, allowing companies to operate more effectively and efficiently. By eliminating exposure to financial risks, avoiding production shutdown and even maintaining business activity, a solid email security strategy pays off by decreasing a company’s operational costs and delivering a rapid return on investment (ROI). This helps boost employee morale which, in turn, further enhances productivity.
Promotion of the Employer Brand
Job seekers are attracted to companies that prioritize security and demonstrate responsibility. Thus, having a strong email security strategy in place and communicating the measures you are taking to secure company and client data will help incite interest from conscientious job candidates.
In this modern threat environment, CEOs and CFOs have a greater responsibility than ever to protect users and critical data by implementing a robust, multi-layered email security strategy. This can be accomplished through a combination of prioritizing risk management, choosing the right security technology, investing in properly configured and managed cloud services and educating employees on the threats they face online daily.
Securing email in 2021 and beyond requires an adaptive, multi-layered email defense strategy, fully-managed around-the-clock by a team of experts. Does your current email protection have what it takes to safeguard your most critical assets in this time of unprecedented risk? Evaluate your current email security strategy and get expert advice on ways in which you can improve it using our free Email Risk Assessment Tool.
- Thinking Strategically about Email Security in 2021 and Beyond
- There’s a Lot to be Gained with Effective Email Security
- Behind the Shield: EnGarde Cloud Email Security Explained
- Open Source: A Powerful, Yet Underutilized Weapon against Phishing & Zero-Day Attacks
- Buyer's Guide: What to Prioritize in an Email Security Solution
- Effectively Securing Business Email Accounts: Are Employees the Weakest Link?
- Encryption: An Essential Yet Highly Controversial Component of Digital Security
- Business Email Security Redefined: Key Benefits of Securing Your Business Email with Guardian Digital
- 8 Business Email Security Best Practices
- Demystifying Email Encryption: Stop Sender Fraud
- Demystifying Phishing Attacks: How to Protect Yourself Now
- Demystifying Tax Fraud: How to Avoid Falling Victim to Deceptive, Costly Scams This Tax Season
- Coronavirus Phishing Scams are On the Rise - Is Your Business Email at Risk of Infection?
- Dave Wreski: Founder of Guardian Digital – Open Source Cloud Email Security
- New Ransomware Warnings: Is Your Business Safe from This Silent Threat?
- FBI: Existing Cloud Email Protection Inadequate Against Phishing, Ransomware
- Email Risk is Universal: Securing Business Email in Every Industry Sector
- How To Safely Navigate Office 365 While Working Remotely
- Tips and Advice for Staying Safe Online During COVID-19
- Why Your Business Needs Better Email Security
- Defending Against COVID Email Spoofing Attacks with DMARC
- You’ve Got Mail: How To Tell If It’s Fraud
- Open-Source Security Is Opening Eyes
- Think Like A Criminal: How To Write A Phishing Email
- The Four Biggest Email Threats Your Business Faces Today
- Everything On DocuSign Phishing Attacks in 3 Minutes
- Understanding Payload-Less Email Attacks in Under 3 Minutes
- Demystifying Fileless Malware in Less than 3 Minutes
- How to Protect Sensitive Data & Maintain Client Trust in Financial Services Industry
- Exchange Servers Are Vulnerable - Learn How To Secure Your Email Server Now
- Apache SpamAssassin Leads A Growing List of Open-Source Projects Taking Steps to Correct Instances of Racism and White Privilege
- Cyber Risk Is Greater than Ever in the Legal Industry
- Understanding Malicious URL Protection - And Why You Need It to Secure Your Email
- Email Security for SMBs Beyond COVID-19
- Email Risk Is BIG for SMBs - How To Protect Your Business Now
- Email Threats By The Numbers: How Big Is My Risk?
- The Modern Email Threat Landscape: Where Traditional Defenses Fall Short
- Why Email Security Is More Important Than Ever in This 'New Reality'
- The Threat of CEO Fraud Extends Beyond the C-Suite
- Top Email Security Trends Putting Your Business at Risk of Attack
- Think Like A Criminal: What You Need to Know About Social Engineering Attacks in 2020
- Managed Services: A Key Element of Effective Email Security that Even Modern Solutions Lack
- How to maintain security when employees work remotely: Advice from Leading Security Experts
- FBI: The 2020 Presidential Election Is Under Attack by Email Scammers
- AT&T Security Researchers Identify a Correlation between Strong Cybersecurity and Business Success
- The Aftermath of a Cyberattack Pt. 1: Phishing Recovery Basics
- It Pays to be Prepared! Ransomware Preparedness & Recovery Basics
- Breaking Down Fileless Malware: Anatomy of an Attack
- Office 365 Email Is Vulnerable to Attack Without These Critical Supplementary Defenses in Place
- Keep the Holidays Merry & Bright - Beware of These Sneaky Seasonal Phishing Scams
- Migrating Business Email: The Hidden Complexities You Need To Know
- How Do SPF, DMARC & DKIM Secure Email Against Sender Fraud?
- Top Email Security Risks Heading into 2021 - How To Set Your Business Up for Safety & Success
- Your Current Approach to Email Security May Not Be Enough
- Ways to Prevent Email Account being compromised in a Breach
- Celebrating 20 Years of Revolutionizing Digital Security
- IBM Closes its $34 Billion Acquisition of Red Hat
- Interview with Security Expert and Author Ira Winkler
- What is Phishing Email? How to prevent Phishing email scams?
- Ways Our Business Email Exceed Your Expectations
- Spear Phishing Protection - Definition & How To Recognize Spear Phishing Email
- What is Whaling (Whaling Phishing)? & How to Prevent Whaling attacks?
- Ransomware Attack Explained - Best Practices For Ransomware Protection
- Business Email Compromise (BEC) - Definition & Prevention From BEC Attacks
- Wire Transfer Scams Involving Real Estate Transactions: How to Prevent Fraud with Effective Email Security
- Guardian Digital and Mautic: A Dynamic Open-Source Duo
- Email Malware - How to Recognize & Prevent Malware Email Attack
- An Open-Source Success Story: Apache SpamAssassin Celebrates 18 Years of Effectively Combating Spam Email
- What is Spam Email - Types & How to Prevent Spam Emails?
- 2020: A New Decade of Digital Threats - Is Your Business Email Secure?
- Linux: An OS Capable of Effectively Meeting the US Government’s Security Needs Heading into 2020
- Complete Guide on Email Security & Threats Faced by Organizations
- Email Virus - Complete Guide to Email Viruses Plus Best Practices
- What Are Zero-Day Attacks & How Can I Prevent Them?
- Guardian Digital Keeps its Customers Protected from Intel Design Flaw
- Security Spotlight: Open Source Email Security Solutions
- Top Six Advantages of Open Source Development/Products
- Python and Bash - Contenders for the most used scripting language
- Guardian Digital Outlines Top 4 Benefits of Choosing Cloud
- Unrivaled Protection Against Today’s Most Dangerous Threats
- Guard Your Email Accounts Against Today’s Most Dangerous Threats
- Security Highlights from Defcon 26
- Linux / Open Source FAQs: Common Myths / Misconceptions
- Email Security FAQs Answered by Guardian Digital
- Guardian Digital Mail Systems: Designed to be Secure Without Fail